Lump or Briquettes?

For high-temp grilling, when I'm lighting all my coal before cooking, I use briquettes. When I'm slow smoking, I want nothing to do with briquettes, I use lump. Briquettes contain coal dust and all kinds of other nasty crap, and the smoke coming off of them is acrid and smells and tastes like s**t. Until briquettes are fully lit and ashed over, you get the acrid, nasty flavor from them. Lump is pure wood, and has no nasty flavor when burning, it smells and tastes like wood. About 3# of lump will give me 10-12 hours of cooking time in my Akorn when partially lit.

I thought briquettes were just for starting the lump...:wink:
I'm only serious

Freddy,
Your exactly right, I'm fine with the way lump burns in the BGE, but thinking about trying some briquettes in my Backwoods

Ok cool. I'm with smooth smoke on the "not burning evenly" debate. I've joy used lump in my PBC (when I had it) and wsm 22 & mini and always get a good burn, consistent temp and great flavor.

Not sure why others get un even temp with lump, it's all about air flow control.

Freddy,
Your exactly right, I'm fine with the way lump burns in the BGE, but thinking about trying some briquettes in my Backwoods

Ok cool. I'm with smooth smoke on the "not burning evenly" debate. I've joy used lump in my PBC (when I had it) and wsm and always get a good burn, consistent temp and great flavor.

Not sure why others get n-even temp with lump, it's all about air flow control.

I only burn lump in my BGE, other cookers I sometimes use briquettes. The reason I won't us it is the amount of ash it produces and can fill in places that you wouldn't want filled in for air flow on the BGE. Also, I don't want to risk binder resin to embed into my ceramic pores and become a permanent fixture if you know what I mean. Just like you never want to use lighter fluid.

Dirty Smoke, More ash, Lower heat. The self proclaimed expert was probably sponsored by Kingsford . Switching from lump to briquettes is like trading in 2 20 yr old po0n Kittens for and 88 yr old Granny.

I think reverse flow verticals are more susceptible to the funky smoke from kbb because it doesn't just vent out like a more tradition design. Lump was a huge change in my bws but the odd sizes make my cooker way less stabile than kbb. I've found humphreys natural briquettes on firecrafts website with free shipping on 100 dollar orders. Going to give them a try next week

I find that most briquettes imbue an unpleasant odor/flavor that a good lump like royal oak does not. There is less ash with lump as well.

Easy peasy

egg, lump,

backwoods bricks.

i dont like bricks but my gater burns better with them.

So I did a run with Humphreys natural briquettes last weekend. Intersting. you can actually see chunks of lump in the briquettes. Smoked like crazy on start up then only saw smoke from the wood chunks during the cook. The ash was very light and fluffy like lump. Unfortunately, it still almost went out after the guru shut down post temp spike. I need to do a better job stacking the briquettes so the fire is able to spread.

481557_478929932181977_174154012_n.jpg
252329_478680515540252_1756134501_n.jpg

I use a chimney starter full of lump to start a basket of Post Oak and Pecan logs ala the Minon Method. Briquettes and Starter Fluid? Neither of those nasty things will ever see the inside of my fire box!

Lump not burning evenly is a myth to me. In my WSM's or kamado's it burns even and steady all day.

Completely agree. 1 bag of Royal Oak Lump burns for 15 hrs in my UDS @ 230* or 8 hours @ 300* with a third left over. No real packing needed, just dump it in shake it a bit to settle and light it. The only temp swings are usually self induced by making too many adjustments instead of letting it do what it does.

Completely agree. 1 bag of Royal Oak Lump burns for 15 hrs in my UDS @ 230* or 8 hours @ 300* with a third left over. No real packing needed, just dump it in shake it a bit to settle and light it. The only temp swings are usually self induced by making too many adjustments instead of letting it do what it does.

in a UDS or a WSM, yeah it probably doesnt matter. In an Insulated reverse flow vertical, it makes a world of difference.

Back