Fruit Wood Score! Apple and Peach

S

smokeinthenoke

I finally found a local orchard with a pretty much unlimited supply of apple AND peach wood. It seems like people often ask them for apple wood, but not in large quantities, but the guy said no one has ever asked him for peach wood (i guess because apple is so much more common around here). The best part is it's not too expensive. About 2.5 cubic feet box for $10.

2013-03-23095718_zps9210dfac.jpg

2013-03-23095708_zpseb2c9ed6.jpg

Did you make sure they don't spray their trees/fruit? If they don't that sounds like a great find.

Did you make sure they don't spray their trees/fruit? If they don't that sounds like a great find.

Hmmm... I actually didn't think of that. I don't think they do. The orchard is owned by an Amish family and has been around pretty much forever. Not that it makes a difference, but it just seems like most of their stuff is more "naturally" grown. I know they frequently sell the apple wood to people for smoking.

What effect does it have on the smoke/fire/flavor if they do? Nothing good I'm sure. I haven't heard anyone talk about this before and I'm curious to know more. Thanks for the input!

Apple trees are usually sprayed with a fungicide, but it is water soluble and washes off when it rains -- or so "they" say.

Looks like some parts of the wood are punky. Might be worth cutting out and tossing those areas.

Very good score nonetheless.

Apple trees are usually sprayed with a fungicide, but it is water soluble and washes off when it rains -- or so "they" say.

Looks like some parts of the wood are punky. Might be worth cutting out and tossing those areas.

Very good score nonetheless.

What does punky wood do to the fire/flavor etc.? I've only ever purchased wood that is kiln dried for smoking meat (like in a bag from the store, but that is going to be way too expensive for my giant new smoker) so I don't know a lot about what to use/not use other than what species of wood, or proper drying and storage, etc. I'm a wood newbie! Any wood tips or information appreciated! Thanks

What does punky wood do to the fire/flavor etc.? I've only ever purchased wood that is kiln dried for smoking meat (like in a bag from the store, but that is going to be way too expensive for my giant new smoker) so I don't know a lot about what to use/not use other than what species of wood, or proper drying and storage, etc. I'm a wood newbie! Any wood tips or information appreciated! Thanks

Punky means soft and starting to rot. Punky wood is much lighter than good sound wood. If you clank two chunks together, good wood has a ring to it, bad wood has a dull thud. It also has very little heat value to it and can give an off taste. I cut it out and get rid of it.

what about moss? with that pretty much just burn off pretty quickly or should I try to scrape or cut off those areas

If the growers are Amish it's pretty safe they have never used any pesticide on them. I don't think they use herbicides either.

Nice work! I need to figure out how to get some peach wood out here in Cali.

You can leave the moss on the wood. It will dry out and burn off.

Back