• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2nd attempt at over night brisket

Forgot to attach the photo. Sorry not the best photo with the sun and shade playing tricks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 179
Finally finished. Total time was 10 hours. Looks pretty good letting it rest for 15-20 minutes then its wrapped and held for another 2-3 hours ready for dinner will post a few of the finished product later.

Could you elaborate? Not really sure I understand. If you have something to add or if you think I am doing something wrong please share. A couple of smillies doesnt really help me.

I can only guess what he wanted to say, since I'm still half asleep, I'll hazard a guess.

If your pit wants to roll at 275, just roll with it. No need to go fussing with the vents. Some people around here go as high as 350, powering through cooks, it shaves many hours off the cook times with very little difference in final result.

Your thermo is in the point. Most people when using a thermo on brisket packers, poke it into the middle of the flat. The flat is all you are concerned with, the point will take care of itsself.

That about right blu?

I can only guess what he wanted to say, since I'm still half asleep, I'll hazard a guess.

If your pit wants to roll at 275, just roll with it. No need to go fussing with the vents. Some people around here go as high as 350, powering through cooks, it shaves many hours off the cook times with very little difference in final result.

Your thermo is in the point. Most people when using a thermo on brisket packers, poke it into the middle of the flat. The flat is all you are concerned with, the point will take care of itsself.

That about right blu?

Ok gotchya on the pit temp sounds good. As far as taking the temp on the brisket. I took the temp in about 4-5 spots it just happens that it was in the point when I took the temp.

Doesnt matter. I pulled it at 207 in the flat and it was pretty tender but not the butta that people talk about. Let it rest and it was still "dry" I cant beleive I under cooked it and it makes no sense that i over cooked it. The flat just didnt turnout as I expected.The flat wasnt too bad where it was closest to the point but and near the bottom where the fat cap is/was.
The point was hard to slice. Very moist but just kind of fell apart when I sliced it. Perfect for being pulled.

Kind of frustrating really thought I had all my bases cover this time.
May be time to scrap brisket all together.

This is what happened to me on my first attempt! Gotta keep trying. Next weekend I'll try it again.

Don't give up, sounds like you're getting close except for the juicy factor. It happens to everyone, brisket is one of the more challenging cuts to master. But you will get it sooner than later if you keep trying. Thanks for the detailed posting on this cook.

Ten hours could be a bit on the short side. I'd throw away the thermometer and just probe the flat until tender.

Ten hours could be a bit on the short side. I'd throw away the thermometer and just probe the flat until tender.

That's what I was thinking but with the IT temp at 207 would going higher just overcook it?
I was probing every 20-30 minutes after 195 and the flat just never relaxed.

heck i say keep all that fat on there, just trim off the hard fat

fat = juicy flavor

heck i say keep all that fat on there, just trim off the hard fat

fat = juicy flavor

Thought I left a lot of fat on there. Much more then I did the previous time.
Very frustrated. Feel like I did everything right and the flat was still leather.

Since you didn't post any pics of the finished product I will ask: did you slice it properly?

That's what I was thinking but with the IT temp at 207 would going higher just overcook it?
I was probing every 20-30 minutes after 195 and the flat just never relaxed.

Sometimes they can be really stubborn. I foil after the bark is set so that it doesn't dry out.

Don't stop now! Hell, I probably ruined 6 or 8 of my first dozen and still screw one up every once in a while, but man when you nail one its worth all the frustration. And, like my boys say a little tough or dry is a bunch better than none or the chit you get in most chain joints!

Since you didn't post any pics of the finished product I will ask: did you slice it properly?

I believe I did. I seperated the flat from the point. Cut against the grain on the flat 1/4 inch slices or so. The point I had trouble slicing because it was so juicy so I chopped it.

Sometimes they can be really stubborn. I foil after the bark is set so that it doesn't dry out.

I didnt foil. I did you paper paper though. When I pulled it the top didnt look dryed out at all. There was moisture on the surface of the brisket though out the entire cook.

Bumping this up to see of anyone has any helpful ideas as to why the flat was dry.
Anything i should have done differently?

Here is the 16lb piece of yum yums. I read somewhere online that you should try and by one that will fold over itself when you hold it in the middle. This one was the best one SAMs had. It folded over nicely. Strange thing is all the briskets were marked 2.38lb but 3 and the 3 that were marked 2.48lb were the ones that were not stiff as a board. Not sure why the .10 difference but I picked the one that was the least firm so we will see if this makes a difference.

The cheaper ones may have been select and the more expensive ones choice.

Ok gotchya on the pit temp sounds good. As far as taking the temp on the brisket. I took the temp in about 4-5 spots it just happens that it was in the point when I took the temp.

Doesnt matter. I pulled it at 207 in the flat and it was pretty tender but not the butta that people talk about. Let it rest and it was still "dry" I cant beleive I under cooked it and it makes no sense that i over cooked it. The flat just didnt turnout as I expected.The flat wasnt too bad where it was closest to the point but and near the bottom where the fat cap is/was.
The point was hard to slice. Very moist but just kind of fell apart when I sliced it. Perfect for being pulled.

Kind of frustrating really thought I had all my bases cover this time.
May be time to scrap brisket all together.

You need to go on feel save the temp thing for chicken. When it feels like butter you pull it. I check my briskets with a thermopen through the butcher paper in the middle of the flat at the top not sides for feel and don't even look at temp. A brisket will firm up kinda plump a little before its ready, you don't want to keep stabbing a brisket with a probe you will let out all it's juice. When you pull it using butcher paper you place it still wrapped on the bottom of a cambro, latch the cambro but don't lock it (keep it cracked) for 30 min to vent and kinda warm, or leave it out on a table top still wrapped to cool 30 min before you stick it in a cooler/cambro. Also I didn't start getting the results I wanted tell I cranked up the heat to 300+ cooking them in 4-5 hours and given a long 4 hour hold.

Brisket is the hardest to figure out and a well cooked one is worth all the hassle, you have to keep trying brotha.

Back