Contest Announcment 2nd Annual NYC Cook Off Staten Island NY

bbqnjm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Check it out- changes made to this year's event- Chili contest is the following weekend- Friday check in- Traditional Saturday KCBS contest. People's Choice also on Saturday. Teams w/o rigs will be allowed to keep one vehicle onsite as long as it's contained within their site. No moving of vehicles until event closed to public approx 4:30 pm. See you there

http://www.historicrichmondtown.org/events/details/964-new-york-city-bbq-cookoff-2013

Nancy

Great! Sounds like you really listened to feedback from last year. I hope the weather is better this year. What time will load in start on Friday? Will all spots have power and/or water this year or only a select few again (asks the guy with a pellet cooker). :)

not to second guess...but, i think you'd get more team participation with PC being on saturday and KCBS on sunday. both the same day could exclude a number of teams, i think. been real wrong before though.

either way, i look forward to hopefully judging or competing this year!

There is a 25 team limit. Will be judging this year as I did the first year.

not to second guess...but, i think you'd get more team participation with PC being on saturday and KCBS on sunday. both the same day could exclude a number of teams, i think. been real wrong before though.

either way, i look forward to hopefully judging or competing this year!

We are not doing PC this year for this reason. PC started during turn-ins last year. We were trying to serve people and get our turn-ins done at the same time. I believe our KCBS turn-ins suffered because of it. Not worth it IMO.

Great! Sounds like you really listened to feedback from last year. I hope the weather is better this year. What time will load in start on Friday? Will all spots have power and/or water this year or only a select few again (asks the guy with a pellet cooker). :)

I believe load in will start about 1pm on Friday. It's my understanding that there won't be electric available but you can bring generators.

It's a Fri-Sat comp not sure of the timing for PC yet- they are still discussing- it may be after turn in's.

Feel free to give Eze a call- he took Liz's place at Richmondtown. He also did visit the Brethren's contest in Manorville last Aug. Orley is still there.
Nancy

No electric? What about water? Is that confirmed?

Where exactly is the competition? I am just looking at a map and only see one parking lot that i think it would be in. Just wondering where this actually takes place.

I called and spoke to Eze:

1) People's choice, likely the same "Schedule" as last year, i.e people's choice will be at the same time as KCBS turn in. I asked if they were going to have the teams hand it out, or let us drop it at a central station to be handed out, and he said from what he can tell, it will run and operate like last year

** UPDATE ** Just got my application via email and Eze said People's Choice is MANDATORY this year.

2) Water - they have limited spigots, teams are requested to bring their own hoses, connectors, buckets, etc to transport water

3) no electric, but we can bring approved generators.

They are having problems with the website, so just email him for an application (last year you could download the application from the website).

Based on how I am reading the application, it doesn't seem like people choice is mandatory. If it is, I am definitely out.

He did not say mandatory on the phone, the application does not appear to make it mandatory, but his email said the following:

Attached is the application. Also this year, people's choice is mandatory. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Eze Ramos
Development & Marketing
Historic Richmond Town
Staten Island Historical Society
441 Clarke Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306

geez, that kinda puts a damper on it and i enjoy cooking PC. it's bad timing, and an added 1 or 2 hundos to the cost of the contest. i wouldn't mind the added cost really, but the timing is critical.

i can't prep a box and serve 20 pounds of food at the same time.

but, if ya don't like the game, don't join the team i suppose.

Back