• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

elevation

H

hd4me

hey guy's, this is my first time in the comp. section. We did our first comp at the end of July. finished 42 of 72 overall and 5th with our ribs. We learned a lot and know where things went wrong that kept us from not doing better than 42 overall. Anyway, we have a comp at the end of this month in the mountains. will the elevation make a difference in cook times, air flow.................? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes it will. How high are you gonna be and what smoker/s will you be cooking on?

In general it will take longer and require somewhat higher temperatures. Just make sure to allow for the extra time.

3200 feet. Backwoods chubby, BGE and the weber silver. About how much longer on cook time? Why a higher temp?

3200 feet is right on the borderline of what is considered high elevation. The classic cut off point is 3000 feet, so I don't think you will see a difference that will be significant.

The more I look into it, I think people try to use somewhat higher temperatures at really high altitude to help compensate for the longer cooking times. The problem is getting the smoker up and maintaining the temperatures you want in the first place. Some crack open the door to the WSM to get the temps they want, for example.

Jim,
Thanks for your help here. I think what I will do is get the smokers lit early just to see what it will take to keep the temps where I want them and then try to figure my timing.
What messed me up on the last one was when I cook on my chubby at home I open the bottom vent about 3/16 of an inch to keep about 200 - 230. At that comp I had to open it an inch plus. I kept the same temps but my brisket cooked to fast. should I expect the same things?

The problem with briskets especially as well as butts is that each one cooks differently and is done when it is done, not when you think it should be done. I wouldn't make much of how long that one brisket took.

I would suggest leaving plenty of time and then rely on a well insulated cooler with towels and newspaper taking up all the empty space to rest them in foil. They will stay hot for several hours that way, as you probably already know.

Bottom line, make sure to allow yourself more time than normal and use the cooler to make the turn in time work out just right.

I had problems cooking on a UDS at elevation a couple of years ago at Silent Valley. Surprisingly, I had trouble keeping the temps down. Go figure.

Leave yourself plenty of time, be flexible and have a good cooler.

Back