Did I ruin it?

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I had two 2 1/2 pound slabs of side meat for Buckboard Bacon. They have been in the fridge with the cure for at least 2 weeks. Right now I have it soaking for the first hour, will rinse and repeat at least one more time. It smelled OK but there were a couple of spots on the meat. Should I go ahead with it or kick myself in the arse and start over?

What kind of 'spots'??? Pictures would help....

heres a couple of pics, not sure you can tell much. Dark spots? Like I said it smelled OK.

Attachments

• bacon1.jpg
    bacon1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 119
  • bacon2.jpg
    bacon2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 119
I think it may just be a reaction to the cure... How thick were the 'slabs'? 14 days is a long time for a thin piece of meat...

Also, did any of the 'spots' get smaller/lighter with the rinsing?

Yes they appear to be getting lighter. So, what happens if you "over cure" you meat?

A couple of things... Number one is that it gets REAL SALTY! so you are going to have to do the soak and change thing more than you would for a butt...

Second is that it may end up 'over tender'.

If you are worried about the spots, I would trim them off and make sure that you cook to above 165*. I, personally, would do just that and cook it up...

Last edited:
If your not sure about the salt, slice off a piece and pan fry it to taste.
If its still salty, re-rinse. :biggrin:

If your not sure about the salt, slice off a piece and pan fry it to taste.
If its still salty, re-rinse. :biggrin:
Great idea!

If you rinse and soak to the point you think you can't get any more salt out, dry it off, rub it with maple syrup and rub with cracked black pepper... The sweet & spice may mask what extra salt you have...

I think I will try slicing a piece and frying it up. The maple syrup sounds like a good idea too!

It has gone through the soak and rinse twice now, time to take a test bite. If all is good I am smoking with apple and maybe just a little bit of hickory.

Pretty salty yet, rinsed and soaking some more. I think I will go back to butts, it is easier to slice. I may have to run out for some maple syrup or just start over.

Dude, worst case is you gotta drink a bunch of beer with it. :cool:

Back