Sinks required

Muzzlebrake

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
if you have hot running water do you need 3 sinks?
I thought that I heard you only needed 2.
yes? no?

for KCBS? - 3 is required according to the rules but one or more can be bus tubs.

for catering 3 for sure if you want to pass an inspection.

I think you still need three.. The temperature of the water should not have any bearing on the reasons the basins are needed

One is for soapy water/dirty utensils etc.
One is for rinsing
One is for sanitizing (w/some bleach)

it scares me sometimes to see that KCBS reps inspect supplies upon check in but don't come by later on to see that they are actually being used. Too often a team checks in with the wash basins still dry and shows the KCBS a small bottle of Clorox and then the team does their prepping all day and may barely do more than spray stuff down with the hose.

I saw that twice by nearby teams at one contest and recently at another. My guess is that it happens a lot more.

I commend all teams who take the time to ensure their utensils are cleaned properly in between uses at a contest.

I've only been checked out in the Northeast for having 3 tubs. Fortunately, I carry them in my RV, but that was just dumb luck that I carried them last year. They don't check for that kind of stuff in the Midwest or anywhere else I have cooked for that matter....

If you have a MH with two sinks and running water, would a third tub still be required under the current rules?

Three tubs is the rule if you read the KCBS rules and they check it every contest.

With the exception of a contest in Dillon, CO, we've never been checked for wash, rinse, and sanitizing basins. And although I don't pay too much attention to it, I don't recall seeing many teams with a 3 basin set-up.

You can use foils pans, chaffing dishes, busboys, etc. if you need to check the basins in.

Three tubs is the rule if you read the KCBS rules and they check it every contest.

yeah thanks thats what I thought......

guess its just a big deal here in the northeast. I know we always have it set up, and have always been checked.

As I double as a Pop Warner Pres. in our area, we were required to prove our sanitizing in the third sink at the snack bar. I found these cheap test strips because we actually went way over with the bleach the first time with the inspector looking over my shoulder. http://www.etundra.com/shop/product.asp?product_id=7651&product_category_id=1168 only takes a few drops. Didn't buy from this place but these are cheaper!

The last comp I went to asked for the three bay sink, tub or bucket so I took these along just in case.

This is a KCBS rule and yes we do check in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast as it seems we have had more problems with health departments understanding teams are not vending to the general public and this is one way we have worked around the issue. I have been told it is not a reps job to inspect this, however, as long as it is a rule and as a rep am responsible to enforce the rules I will continue to do those inspections. Now as for being set up. I expect the cooks to do what is expected with the items they are required to bring.

if you have hot running water do you need 3 sinks?
I thought that I heard you only needed 2.
yes? no?

3 bins ea. wash, rinse and santitize with a seperate hand wash..throw in drainer and garbage. (rolls over gravel and grass easly) I can go 100 ft from water and electric source and have hot running water.

Attachments

• pratice11.jpg
    pratice11.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 66
3 bins ea. wash, rinse and santitize with a seperate hand wash..throw in drainer and garbage. (rolls over gravel and grass easly) I can go 100 ft from water and electric source and have hot running water.

Did you build that?

We do a fair number of comps where people's choice/tasting/vending follows close of entries, and California health departments are murder for inspections. Pre-dosed water treatment tabs are easier to carry than bleach, and keep you at the right concentration.

My particular gripe is with health inspectors who want to stroll through and chat for ten minutes right during crunch time before entries on Saturday morning. Hellloooooo, where were you at 6:30-7am? I really don't want to explain the water heater or probe thermometers while I'm trying to slam together chicken.

Back