Pork Injection vs. Whole Hog Injection

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Is there any reason that ANY injection described as being for a whole hog would not "work" for injecting just pork butts? I found an awesome sounding recipe that I was thinking of trying this weekend but it says "whole hog" injection.

Well obviously you can't use a whole pork injection on a butt.

This is because the snout is still attached on a whole hog.
The enzymes from the snout melting into the meat cause for an "Off" flavor throughout the entire hog.
Whole hog injections counteract this souring of the meat, by adding an element called leaverite.
Leaverite is actually mined throughout the United States. Many gold prospectors around the country have been known to come across large quantities of leaverite.
If you were to use a whole hog injection in just say a butt the consequences could be quite disasterous.

Being as that there isn't a snout, the active particles in the whole hog injection would be racing around trying to find the snout souring element.
The action of these particles racing around in the meat, not being able to do their job would just create friction, thus heating the meat faster than normal resulting in higher cooking temperatures, and thus tougher meat.

Sorry, I need a day off!

OK, OK Joe! Crusty old farker birthday boy! I just thought I'd ask. I am just never sure why they don't just call it PORK INJECTION rather than specifically "whole hog injection". Maybe because "pork injection" conjures up an image of something totally off topic? :lol:

OK so how does this sound to y'all:

1 cup Vodka
2 cups cranberry juice
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup maraschino cherry juice
2 tsp. onion juice
1/3 balsamic vinegar
2 TB dry mustard
2 TB paprika
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce (WTF is this and where do I find it?)
1 TB celery salt

Simmer together day before injection. Day of, reheat and let cool completely before injecting into WHOLE hog. Inject marinade into several places. Reserve some for basting the HOG.

You can find hoisen sauce in the oriental section of your grocery.
(Right next to the leaverite.)
No Seriously, that's where to find it. Good stuff that hoisen!

bbqjoe said:
...thus heating the meat faster than normal resulting in higher cooking temperatures, and thus tougher meat.

So if you put enough leaverite in your injection, will the butt cook itself? :lol:

Jeff_in_KC said:
OK so how does this sound to y'all:

Simmer together day before injection. Day of, reheat and let cool completely before injecting into WHOLE hog. Inject marinade into several places. Reserve some for basting the HOG.

Jeff--sounds COMPLICATED :twisted:
Not being funny.
Just a lot of flavors working with and against each other.

At my personal level of cooking---I use about 4 ingredients max and work from there.
"KISS" kinda guy here.

But, the real experts out there do more, I am sure, and it works for them.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Jeff--sounds COMPLICATED :twisted:
Not being funny.
Just a lot of flavors working with and against each other.

At my personal level of cooking---I use about 4 ingredients max and work from there.
"KISS" kinda guy here.

But, the real experts out there do more, I am sure, and it works for them.

TIM

Well Tim, the thought was do it tomorrow night, cool it, store in a quart mason jar and refrigerate/put on ice until I get to the contest. Then I just warm up my injection and do the deal when it's ready. No mixing or cooking at the contest site. I don't know how complicated his was but I noticed Chick n Pig (Skip) at OK Joe's injecting out of mason jars he appeared to have made at home.

However, Chris Lilly's shoulder injection sounds a hell of a lot easier!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Well Tim, the thought was do it tomorrow night, cool it, store in a quart mason jar and refrigerate/put on ice until I get to the contest. Then I just warm up my injection and do the deal when it's ready. No mixing or cooking at the contest site. I don't know how complicated his was but I noticed Chick n Pig (Skip) at OK Joe's injecting out of mason jars he appeared to have made at home.

Knock yourself out and let us know how it went :lol:

TIM

Sounds wonderful. cranberries hmm only use these at thanksgiving and christmas, you get after it Jeff. Like Tim said let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like a good way to fark up a pig - in a Bobby Flay kind of way!

Don't forget to strain before injecting - nothing like a clogged cannula to slow things down

Back