Propane to Charcoal conversion

S

swampdrummer

I've got an old Great American Grill Company, Gladstone 1000 that I'm thinking about converting from propane to charcoal. The company is no longer in business and aftermarket replacement burners and such are number one expensive and number two. Just not up to snuff as far as performance. Plus I just like the taste of charcoal better than propane. But the whole grill itself is made of cast aluminum and has lasted forever and will probably be around long after I'm gone.

Currently there is a double burner in the grill. Looks to be maybe 4 or 5 sq inches of open area in the bottom where the venturis come down thru the grill bottom. I'm thinking to maybe leave the propane bruner in place and build an expanded steel basket. Probably 22"X16"X2" with stainless bolts for legs and just set that down over top of the propane burner and use the propane as a gas assist for the charcoal starter. Or I may yank the whole burner assembly out.Close up the openings in the bottom and use about the same size charcoal basket on just a little higher legs.

I'm assuming I will have to create adjustable vents of some sort and I'm kind of lost there. Is there a formula or a tried and true method of determining vent sizes and locations?

Am I safe staying with about the same distance from the current burners to the grates or should I adjust the charcoal basket height up or down?

Or is this whole idea crazy and not worth messing with?

I'll try to get some pictures tommorow to post to better explain what I'm thinking about.

Thanks!

I'd look at some of the UDS for guidance.

Folks have been smoking on all sorts of things since the beginning of time, so I'd say it's do-able. Probably just take a lil tinkering.

Good luck

Back