• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Experiment II (pics)

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was reading the Men in Aprons blog the other day (Adam is a brethren) and he was saying that he got a really deep smoke ring on his brisket by using a wet rub instead of a dry one. I didn't have any evidence to dispute his theory so I decided to conduct one for the benefit of all brethren. I am cooking two briskets Both are the same size, give or take half a pound. Both have been trimmed and they both are cooking in the Spicewine at the same time and temp. Both have been injected with the same beef broth mixture.

The only difference is that one had the rub applied dry and the other I mixed the rub with some olive oil and vinegar to make a paste. Adam's theory was that the moisture promoted the smoke ring. Let's find out!

The paste...

misc032908009.jpg

misc032908010.jpg

Wet brisket

misc032908011.jpg

misc032908012.jpg

Dry brisket

misc032908013.jpg

misc032908014.jpg

Progress update and more pics coming soon!!

I wonder if the oil is the deciding factor here,as it will draw in heat and maybe the smoke along with it. Looking forward to your results.

Paul

My brisket rubs are usually wet after sitting on the meat for an hour or so. :biggrin:

I wonder if the vinegar will break down the tissue a little on the outside as it cooks, making it easier for the "smoke ring" to penetrate. Or for the salts to sink in.

Good luck, Big Mista, and we look forward to the delicious results!!! :cool:

The bark on the dry looks a little more like what I'm used to. But that wet one looks mighty tasty.

This is getting good. The side by side tests are my favorite part of this site. Can't wait to see if there is any difference

You need three things to achieve a smoke ring..........

1. a moist surface
2. humidity
3. a flame to produce nitrous oxide (NO2)

I learned this at a class I took last year.

You are making me hungry Bigmista! Good thing we have dinner in the oven - and it smells great. And I'll be grilling some asparagus.

Looking forward to your results!

Well the wet brisket is out, sliced and served. The occasion is MrsMista's sister's last birthday party. She passed a few weeks ago and we are celebrating her life. Anyway here are the pics of the wet brisket and the other food we are serving...

Wet Brisket

misc032908023-1.jpg

misc032908024.jpg

misc032908025.jpg

misc032908026.jpg

Great flavor, moist and tender. Smoke ring? So-so.

Here is some of the other food...

misc032908027.jpg

misc032908036.jpg

misc032908034.jpg

misc032908035.jpg

misc032908033.jpg

I'll slice the other brisket and take pics once the crowd dies down in the kitchen.

OhmyGod! I just had some of the Pulled Pork with my BBQ sauce and the Pineapple coleslaw. I am patting myself on the back cause this chit is GOOD!!

Looks really good Neil. The idea of celebrating the birthday of a loved one that passed recently is a very special idea.

Big it looks wonderful . Our church always have food after the funeral for the family it give comfort to the grieving ones also show that people cares. In the area I live we still do some of the old traditions when a love one dies. Maybe we have lost some of that in our busy life of fast food tell Miss we pray for her and the family.

Well not as many people showed up for the party as we panned soI never got around to cutting the dry brisket. Hmmm...maybe brisket and rice for breakfast?

Eating some now! Lunch this week. Save the point for brisket chili or burnt ends.

Back