View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillATL View Post
I don't bother to wrap pork butts generally, they're pretty darn forgiving and I'll take all the bark I can get. I've never cooked on a pellet smoker so don't have any opinion on pellets in particular but in general apple is a little milder than hickory - I think everything short of an oil fire is milder than mesquite. When I was growing up in the Carolina's most all the BBQ places used hickory though a few used pecan. Never saw many folks bragging about applewood except for bacon and trout.

I've always heard people say that pellet smokers have less smoke than other cookers so I think you'll be fine whether you wrap or not and I wouldn't worry too much about whether you're using Apple, hickory, pecan or whatever's handy.

I've got a ceramic cooker (not a BGE but a Primo Oval). They're very versatile cookers and easy to run once you cook on them a couple of times. My only complaint was in amount of grill space so I added an insulated vertical cabinet. Still have the ceramic and use it to sear steaks, do smaller cooks, etc.
Good post thanks. Got my feet wet in smoking with the pellet smoker. I love it, but looking to get some real BBQ going. I have been mixing Cherry and Hickory for Pork and like the flavor. I was just following the video for Apple. I have a bag of apple a pecan and it is easy enough to switch out. I really have no knowledge of this kind of stuff, so I just kinda follow recipes and videos till I get a better hold on things.

I was reading about the Primo today, that is a very fine cooker you have. I believe that is one of the best out there? Going to keep my eyes peeled and look for a sale. The BGE is at the top of my list, but if I find a deal, I will jump on it.