Baby Back Ribs ( Help )

akarpf

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey , Guys I'm looking for a little help, i'm doing a pork butt and i'm going to do a rack of bb ribs. But i have not cooked bb ribs before and last weekend i did some beef back ribs and i had to feed them to the dogs!!! do i need to do the 3-2-1 method or 2-2-1?

I leave them out of foil until they're the color I like, which can vary, but around 3 hours. Then I foil for about an hour, until they're close to done, then unfoil to finish. I usually allot about 5 hours for babybacks.

This way, I like the look of them a lot more than just letting them get really dark.

I wouldn't have BBs in foil for 2 hours, you'll literally end up with meat falling off the bones. Some people like that, but a lot of people also consider that overcooked. I'd go 2 hours smoke, then an hour foil, then finish up back on smoke till they are where you want them. If you find that is still a little overcooked for you, cut back to 30 minutes foil next time you smoke them. It's really up to you and how you like your ribs.

Last edited:
what smoker and temps are you cooking?

example, I run a pellet cooker at 275, I put my ribs in for a hour, flip them the next hour, then stick them in a foil pan covered in foil about 30 minutes(if they seem doing well) to 45 minutes with apple juice, and let them dry back up intill the ribs almost break in the middle, they are done.

im with smokin mike we shoot for 250... foil ribs add apple juice unwrap and firm back up and we get allmost fall off the bone ribs after I sauce them and there just as good the next day after reheatin ..

Back