Practicing Brisket

I used maple turds lol, cooked at 250, and I foiled when the rub set I think the temp was around 165 when I foiled. I pulled it at about 197 in the thickest part and 202 at the thinnest part. Then let rest for 30min then I put it in the cambro for about 2 hours.

it was ok, nice and tender just lacking flavor

Shoot looks like you nailed it. As for flavor, try salting your brisket. Give it a heavy coat of kosher salt, allow it to liquefy on top of the brisket on the tabletop for 1.5 hrs. Rinse lightly, pat dry, season as usual. Try putting some chipotle powder in your rub and don't foil till 180 or like alot of us texans, not at all. Good luck on your next one. Injecting is also good if you don't wanna salt your brisket.

Jmoney! Thx. This is great feedback. I have another practice run soon with a different brisket. I hope I get more ideas thx

I'd beat it up. I particularly like un seasoned meats. I like tasting only the smoke and original meat flavor.

Dude neonnblack! That's what I was going for but in the comps I'm getting beat up!

IMHO - mo fat mo better!

Have you thought about cooking a packer and including burnt ends? That might help the score plus give you a chance to add more flavor.

I have never had good luck cooking just a flat in comps. I know some do well but I have not.

Yes I need to put some burnt end in the box. The last comp I was at they didn’t turn out good enough, so I thought it could hurt my score

heres a pic of the box i turned in

Attachments

• brisket havasu.jpg
    brisket havasu.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 68
For years I bought my briskets from Sams Club and last year I worked out a deal with guy who owns a local restaurant. He serves a great brisket sandwich and he orders them from a select butcher over in Alabama. The meat was complete night and day difference and so was the price. The marbling in the meat looks so much cleaner and more defined.

I'd smash that box like Dirk Diggler.

Looks great to me!

Back