Any ideas for a suckling pig?

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, so its my birthday on thursday (WOOOOO!!!!) and this weekend Im heading to a friends beach house with a couple friends, a grill, a suckling pig and a chit-load of brew, tequila, and mojitos in hand. :twisted: Anyone here has any recipes or suggestions they'd like to share with me?? I did one last year for the same occasion, actually I probably have those pics somewhere, I'll try find them to post. (I think you'll get a kick outta them lol). Well basically i just did it up with my basic BBQ rub, Dont get me wrong it was damn good, and was planning to do the same this year. Guess it's just that i have this plethora of information/knowledge (uhhh... you guys) lol, I'm just looking for other options, you know?? Hook a bredrin up!.....pretty please?? :biggrin: lol Thanks

Cheers

I found the shots of the suckling pig from last year. BTW I don't mean to brag but I think I hold the record for most innovative....uhm.... would you really call this a grill? lol anyways check it out.

Base set-up
IMG_0923.jpg

Suckling on
IMG_0928.jpg

And the rest of the "cooking apparatus"
IMG_0930.jpg

All set up
IMG_0931.jpg

Sealed up and set up for smoking
IMG_0933.jpg

I guess we started to attract some attention
IMG_0944.jpg

All ready to come off... this time around im scoring the skin, That way i think it will lay a bit flatter
IMG_0952.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
What's up with the short's and flip flop's in January???
If this is how your gonna be, i won't be able to read your post's....:twisted:
18* and 4" of snow!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Can i come down and cook your B-day piggy for ya???
Tell me ya like the Red Stripe's mon.....:wink:

Your doin it all wrong.
You need a bunch of us brothers to come show ya how its done.
Well make it a Bretheran Bash.

I'll bring 4-5 cases of Wine

Dan

I'm not sure if it was the pig, the flip flops or the water, but all of a sudden I really farking hate winter.

Pig looks good to me, maybe not as nice as the weather, but still real nice.

What's up with the short's and flip flop's in January???
If this is how your gonna be, i won't be able to read your post's....:twisted:
18* and 4" of snow!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Can i come down and cook your B-day piggy for ya???
Tell me ya like the Red Stripe's mon.....:wink:
Only if I get to go too!!! Think we can 'borrow’ Walt’s Lang 60???

Happy Birthday Brother from another January Brethren!

That pig looks absolutely edible :biggrin:

What was the weight ?

Nice grill, btw.

DM

Thanks Divemaster, same to you when it comes, or when it was.
That piggy was about a 16 pounder I believe. came out great, so tender.
Yeah that day was a bit chilly, musta been bout 85* or so... :twisted: hehe. No, it was a great day, actually it was a great weekend. A couple Cohibas, poker and Padron after the feast!! Tryin to beat that this year! I'll try get some pics! So anyways... where are those recipes guys??? no ideas?? ***LOOK AWAY FROM THE BLUE SEA*** FOCUS!!! :biggrin:

Cheers

OK, so its my birthday on thursday (WOOOOO!!!!) and this weekend Im heading to a friends beach house with a couple friends, a grill, a suckling pig and a chit-load of brew, tequila, and mojitos in hand. :twisted: Anyone here has any recipes or suggestions they'd like to share with me?? I did one last year for the same occasion, actually I probably have those pics somewhere, I'll try find them to post. (I think you'll get a kick outta them lol). Well basically i just did it up with my basic BBQ rub, Dont get me wrong it was damn good, and was planning to do the same this year. Guess it's just that i have this plethora of information/knowledge (uhhh... you guys) lol, I'm just looking for other options, you know?? Hook a bredrin up!.....pretty please?? :biggrin: lol Thanks

Cheers

I love the way this dude rolls!!!!

Here is the way we used to alway do pigs and deer when I was younger:

Dig a hole in the ground about 5 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet deep.
Line the hole with bricks or rocks.
Burn a bunch of seasoned wood in the hole until you had a deep (probably like a foot deep) bunch of hot coals.
Wrap the pig in chicken wire
Put a piece of tin on top the the coals
Put the pig on the tin
Cover the hole with a big piece of metal
Cover the metal with some dirt and more rock
Cook for 12-14 hours depending on the size of the pig (we usually did ones about 100 pounds or so)
Uncover and pull the meat

I know exactly what some of you are saying... yes the tin was galvanized, and yes the chicken wire was galvanized... we didn't know any better. Plus I have always found my third eye to be useful!!

Back