New Assassin28

A full 20lb bag of Kingsford Blue down the chute. KB is what I had on hand, I will most likely cook with lump once I get through my KB inventory.
smoker18.JPG

As you can see there is still roughly 6 to 8 inches left in the chute after a 20lb bag.
smoker19.JPG

I don't have a weed burner yet, and was planning on starting the fire off in a charcoal chimney and put it in the chute followed by the unlit charcoal. But last night my cousin and his friend stopped by to see the toy, and he suggested trying to use a couple of Weber lighter cubes set on top of a brick in the ash tray. So I figured I would give it a try.

smoker20.JPG

smoker21.JPG

It worked like a charm. Once the lighter cubes were spent I just removed the brick, and closed the fire box.
smoker27.JPG

Once the smoker was up to temp. I threw in several chunks of peach and pecan wood for the smoke.
smoker22.JPG

I used a full size disposable pan to catch the grease.
smoker23.JPG

A picture of the inside after 3 hours at 350 degrees.
smoker24.JPG

smoker25.JPG

The remnants of the wood chunks. I threw in 2 chunks of oak about an hour and half into the seasoning.
smoker26.JPG

I tried to take a video of the process, but the battery was dead on the video camera. DOH! :doh:

Tomorrow I plan on doing a small cook. Haven't decided what it will be yet, but whatever it is I'll take some more pics and post them. Thanks for looking.

Looks great....I use the Weber cubes...those r neat little things. How easy is it to move around?

Love that you can use disposable trays for the grease.

That's a beautiful cooker! Congrats and thanks for the detailed pictures!

How long does it take you guys to warm up the 28 to around 250?

When using the weber chimney. Which is what I use, I never light from the bottom I dump a load in then dump the bag on top I can get to 275 in 20-25 minutes is the norm. That with the bbq guru going full blast with both the fan and the valve wide open. The draft is great on this smoker. I watched for a couple minutes to check out the transfer tube and you can easily see how the flame gets sucked back and forth then the fan shuts down. Pretty cool to know that it works so well.

Back