• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Mojo (Dr BBQ recipe _ pork tenderloin)

Q

Q_Egg

This is my fist 'serious' attempt using World Harbors Cuban Style MOJO with garlic cloves and grey salt ..... 1.7 lb pork tenderloin. Sealed in a bag in frig since yesterday. I will keep working at a source for sour orange, but for now the only citrus is lemon juice concentrate in the World Harbors marinade.

I've read other posts here, including Thirdeye's homemade version. Just concerned that maybe I need to add some more citrus with another day of marinade to go. Any other thoughts on how to get closer to the 'real thing' ??

I'm going for Cuban-style sandwiches and wonder about additional sauce at serving time. Perhaps there's another 'store-bought sauce' out there that will add the right zing? I hope some Brethren have done some more Mojo cooks and can provide a tip or two. I plan to post a coujple pics unless it is a total disaster!

Regards,

As a side note Tom, Rob Flay made some Cuban burgers the other day and finished them with some really great sandwich bread, wrapped in HD foil, and put them on the grill with a brick on top of it

Damn them things looked great.

Might be a good way to "finish" the sandwich

I hate talented and creative people !! Now I have to cancel my plans for a new Panini press and go get a brick ! :biggrin:

This sounds perfect and I will give it a shot Fri or Sat. .... should add some interest to the pics!

Many thanks

Hi Tom! I've not tried the World Harbors Mojo so I can't comment, but I have used the Goya Mojo and for the longest time wasn't wowed by it, but the Dr and J Appledog suggested adding crushed garlic to the mix and the longer
it marinades the more flavor it gets. I usually go 2-3 days in the Foodsaver marinator. As far as the sour orange, I picked up some La Lechonera from a Caribe grocery, but haven't made my own Mojo yet.

I've tried the World Harbor Jerk marinade and its more sweet than spicy.

Brian

Great! I found an internet source for both the La Lechonera Naranja Agria and Mojo Criollo .... (montalvans.com) I'll give both a try. Also will try the Goya and continue the garlic.

Regards,

Tom, go for the longer times. The Doc and Julie were right about that. I was much more satisfied with the finished product. The scoring of the meat is a good idea too. I have only tried the pre-made mojo once or twice. I think once you get the fixins for the home-made, you may like it better.

I assume that means 3 days .... I have little doubt the homemade will be better but I want to try the traditional sour orange and compare to OJ + lime juice. I like the sound of your earlier posted recipe.

Regards,

I assume that means 3 days .... I have little doubt the homemade will be better but I want to try the traditional sour orange and compare to OJ + lime juice. I like the sound of your earlier posted recipe.

Regards,

Yeah, I have done cubes of pork 12 hours or so, tenderloins for 2 days and loins for 3 days. I really want to try the longer times on 1/2" thick pork steaks.

The OJ and lime is a good combination if you can't get the sour orange, it's the freshness of the herbs and spices that really makes the mojo come alive flavor wise. Plus, I like the mechanics of smashing that stuff by hand. The thing I like the most is adding the hot olive oil to the paste which gives this extra flavor release.

Yeah, I have done cubes of pork 12 hours or so, tenderloins for 2 days and loins for 3 days. I really want to try the longer times on 1/2" thick pork steaks.

The OJ and lime is a good combination if you can't get the sour orange, it's the freshness of the herbs and spices that really makes the mojo come alive flavor wise. Plus, I like the mechanics of smashing that stuff by hand. The thing I like the most is adding the hot olive oil to the paste which gives this extra flavor release.

A modest suggestion if I may be so bold. I think finding real Key lime juice to use is a big help. I also use a very small portion of concentrated OJ, to give the Orange flavor, and I add Grapefruit juice. I have no recipe, Just do it by taste. The grapefruit juice seems to bring it closer to the real sour orange flavor.
To tell the truth, right now, I am just going outside and picking sour oranges from my neighbor's tree and using them.:grin:

That sounds like sound advice. I have a buddy that lives down on the space coast and we do a little trading a few times a year. One of the things he sends my direction are bottles of sour orange juice. I drain some off and freeze it in the bottles.

The same guy hooked me up with a Key lime pie recipe that calls for a reduction of the Nellies & Joe's for extra tartness. That combined with coconut, nuts and Gran Marnier added to the crust makes one of the best pies I've had.

Holy crud !!! The local Mexican market has Goya Bitter Orange (Naranja Agria), Goya Mojo Criollo and Kirby Mojo Criollo. Never would have guessed it! I'm committed to going for the fresh recipe, but I can also get a 'baseline' to compare against and have a 'quicky' solution when I need it unexpectedly.

Thanks for helping! I'm going to experiment with the key lime and grapefruit juice too .....

That sounds like sound advice. I have a buddy that lives down on the space coast and we do a little trading a few times a year. One of the things he sends my direction are bottles of sour orange juice. I drain some off and freeze it in the bottles.

The same guy hooked me up with a Key lime pie recipe that calls for a reduction of the Nellies & Joe's for extra tartness. That combined with coconut, nuts and Gran Marnier added to the crust makes one of the best pies I've had.

Any thing with Gran Marnier in it has to be good.

Nellie's and Joe's is my favorite brand of "store bought" key lime juice. I normally get it by squeezing limes from my neighbor's key lime tree and freezing the extra to last through the year.
Did I mention I live next to a citrus grove?:grin:

Holy crud !!! The local Mexican market has Goya Bitter Orange (Naranja Agria), Goya Mojo Criollo and Kirby Mojo Criollo. Never would have guessed it! I'm committed to going for the fresh recipe, but I can also get a 'baseline' to compare against and have a 'quicky' solution when I need it unexpectedly.

Thanks for helping! I'm going to experiment with the key lime and grapefruit juice too .....

Great find! The Mexican markets I've checked out don't carry any. Gotta go to the Pike Place Market. Never been to the Cuban restaurant in town but the pork sandwiches look great!

The 1.7# pork tenderloin is going on the 'EGG' shortly. I'll add a pre-cook pic in a few minutes. Three days in the bag/frig .... Dr BBQ (Ray) talks about 'grilling' and 140*F internal temp.

I don't want to 'sear' it so I'm guessing about 375*F cooker temp and on a raised rack (a bit further from the lump). Anything below 350* seems too cool and much over 400* a bit hot for pork ?? Any thoughts ??

I'm considering soaking some chips (just a bit) in the marinade and tossing them in fairly early. Has anyone tried this versus soaking them in water?
Just a few hickory chunks in the lump too. I'm concerned getting this too far away from a 'Cuban-style' taste.

(108*F here at 2:40 p.m. on the deck). Got to get a Sam Adams NOW!

Attachments

• Mojo Precook 3_DSCF1326.jpg
    Mojo Precook 3_DSCF1326.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
Ready to eat !!!

Went with ~400*F, some Jack Daniels smoking pellets soaked in the marinade, couple small chunks hickory. Poured some marinade on top at the start. Got to 140*F very fast ... actually overshot a bit .... foiled rested 40 minutes.

Wow !!! Maybe the most tender and tasty sandwiches we've had !
Followed Three Guys from Miami (cuban.com) recipe . Fresh bread (8 inch) slices, butter, pickle, pork, swiss cheese ... hot cast iron griddle, cast iron frypan on top to really press it down. This is definitely a 'keeper'.

Thanks all for earlier ideas!

Attachments

• Mojo Pork Tenderloin_Ready to carve_DSCF1333.jpg
    Mojo Pork Tenderloin_Ready to carve_DSCF1333.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Mojo Slices_DSCF1334.jpg
    Mojo Slices_DSCF1334.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy, you managed to soak the "pellets" without them turning to mush?
did not know you could do that:shock:

gman,

Probably 'beginners' luck !! I was concerned so they only soaked about 2-3 minutes, were strained out and thrown on the lump all at once at the start. The BGE was hot (>450*) and I shut the dampers down a lot to retain the early smoke and get the temp to drop. A few small tastes after carving had great flavor, very pleasant smoke, but nothing strong or bitter.

It's likely the light coating of marinade on the pellets really had no effect.

Back