• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Louisiana Sauce Piquante

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is a little known Cajun dish. It is a reddish gravy, which, like just about every Cajun gravy starts with a roux and trinity, and like most Cajun gravies, can just about include any type of protein. The main difference is that sauce Piquante also includes tomato.

I decided to make this dish today. The protein of choice was to be andouille sausage and leftover smoked pork country style ribs. Ingredients below:

Last edited:
Now we make a roux. I wanted to go dark chocolate, but was running short so I went just past milk chocolate. Added the trinity and stirred. A few minutes later, added some tomato paste, some red wine, andouille, then garlic. Once that was worked in, added stock, salt, cayenne and a few bay leaves. Simmered for a couple of hours, then added the leftover pork. Adjusted seasoning and went to town. Serve with rice, garlic bread and a glass of wine. Very good stuff.

Last edited:
I've eaten Turtle Sauce Piquant and Shrimp Sauce Piquant on numerous occasions. It's kind of a staple back home.
Your dish looks like you nailed it. Excellent.

This is a little known Cajun dish. It is a reddish gravy, which, like just about every Cajun gravy starts with a roux and trinity, and like most Cajun gravies, can just about include any type of protein. The main difference is that sauce Piquante also includes tomato. .....

That's because everyone needs to keep a secret or two.:wink:

BTW your pr0n is makin' me hungry.:biggrin1:

My cousin from Louisiana likes to make this with Axis deer. He is a big deer hunter. The strong flavors of this dish do work well with wild game. I was thinking about making it with lamb. The leftover smoked pork was excellent.

Nothing better than alligator sauce piquante.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back