Rubbed my butt at 4am...

jmilleronaire

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My mom's having a birthday, and I was volunteered to make some food... Up at 4AM this morning lighting charcoal and rubbing meats.

2010-03-27%2004.50.54.jpg

Put two 7 pound butts rubbed with Sucklebusters Hog Waller and a 7 pound brisket rubbed with Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama on the Smoke 'n Pit at 5.

More pictures sure to come, as I have 10+ hours of sitting in the rain watching temps ahead of me.

well, i'm 4 hours into it, and it's looking and smelling delicious!

2010-03-27%2007.47.27.jpg

Critiques of the smoke 'n pit so far:

It's a cheaply built adequate offset. They need to use high-heat paint on the firebox though, it's already disappearing at the bottom by the charcoal.

Also, the drain hole for the fat is on the far end (where you'd probably logically put it) so when smoking in the cold like i have been, the fat congeals just as it gets to the hole, plugging it. i had to warm it up with my lighter a little, then had 3 cups of fat pour out (much of it left from the last two smokes, not all from today). Now that it's warm though, it's draining fine.

And chatting on Facebook!! The conversation is hilarious.

chat,chat,chat,chat,10 minute silence while one or the other checks his cook,chat,chat,chat.....

Gotta buy the boy a whole brisket. As good as his cooks look, he's missing out by not being able to have the point! That's where all the best fat, I mean, ummmm, marbling is

Gotta watch out for the food Nazi's!! "Fat is bad for you! It will kill you!! But, well marbled beef is delicious" :roll: I say gimme my fat!!

Looking really good so far!!

Gotta buy the boy a whole brisket. As good as his cooks look, he's missing out by not being able to have the point! That's where all the best fat, I mean, ummmm, marbling is

Gotta watch out for the food Nazi's!! "Fat is bad for you! It will kill you!! But, well marbled beef is delicious" :roll: I say gimme my fat!!

Looking really good so far!!

I've done whole brisket, last year using indirect heat on a converted freon tank. I'm still looking for a local source of packers that both HAS them, and doesn't require me to buy them by the case. I'll find them, though.

Got a little antsy and built myself an ash scratcher out of some scraps we had lying around. A metal drawer slide and a dowel, now i can pull ashes out from under the grate without trying to use my hands, or picking up the whole grill and shaking. Both of those methods seem messy.

2010-03-27%2009.09.58.jpg

Back