logo

What's smoke'in

very nice looking brisket how about sending a sammy this way

Very nice, what rub did you use if you don't mind me asking?

I ended up using a slightly modified version of Bill's Power Rub in Paul Kirks book...The rub had a lot of salt in it, so i was a little worried about how it would turn out....But it actually worked out very wel..

Thanks Plowboy...I was going to try and make it over today, but family came and couldn't get away...I can't wait to try your rub...

Very nice looking brisket, good job.

I also suggest using briquettes in the party. It will last longer between fill ups and burn more evenly. I always found this to be true with my WSM and it seems to translate to the party. My second cook on the party I used about 4 pounds of royal oak briquettes and it was still going at 230 4 1/2 hours later when I took the buck board bacon off. My first cook I used 8 pounds of big briq briquettes and about 1/2 a chimney of kingsford to start the cook, and that lasted over 10 hours. Give it a shot with the best briquettes you can get ahold of and I think you will like the results.

Thanks JRB...I agree, next time I'm going to use briquettes..

Did you cook fat cap up, or down? Looks like down. I did my brisket fat side up. My thinking was that the heat/smoke hits it from the top in a BWS, so put the protective fat layer up. Im sure it would turn out fine either way though.

I actually had the same thinking and cooked it fat side up...first time I've ever done one like that, and it turned out really well..

I ended up using a slightly modified version of Bill's Power Rub in Paul Kirks book...The rub had a lot of salt in it, so i was a little worried about how it would turn out....But it actually worked out very wel..

Thanks Plowboy...I was going to try and make it over today, but family came and couldn't get away...I can't wait to try your rub...

Plenty of salt and plenty of pepper is a good thing in a brisket rub. If you are from Texas, then MSG also seems to be a key ingredient. At least that's the case in a lot of brisket/beef rubs I've seen.

Plenty of salt and plenty of pepper is a good thing in a brisket rub. If you are from Texas, then MSG also seems to be a key ingredient. At least that's the case in a lot of brisket/beef rubs I've seen.

This rub definitely had that...I just worry sometimes about loading it down too much because I don't want a bad salty taste...I made that mistake early on in my cooking career on some ribs and ever since I'm pretty care on how much rub I put on...Actually I didn't really taste that much salt on this guy.

Thank you for all the great comments on my brisket cook..I had a lot of fun with the new BWS and trust me there will be much more to come...

Thank you for all the great comments on my brisket cook..I had a lot of fun with the new BWS and trust me there will be much more to come...

I'm already looking forward to the next post, that brisket looks fantastic, nice bark, good rin and moist to boot.

Back