View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

Trust me, I'm a big camping enthusiast and know what I'm talking about on this point. The classic coleman 2 burner stove is the way to go. Notice I say "classic" because I'm talking about coleman liquid fuel, not propane. Propane is okay but does not have the BTU's of coleman fuel and if you run it for very long, the lines will freeze, leaving you with not much flame. The propane stoves have become popular in recent years because they are considers "safer" by those who are afraid of handling liquid fuel. Trust me, the small propane cannisters don't work nearly as well and aren't nearly as reliable.

You can pick one up on ebay for less than $40 including shipping and it will last a lifetime. Look for a 425 or a 413. They are easy as cake to rebuild. They work well in wind, and you can pair it with a griddle and cook anything from hamburgers to pancakes. I've got two of them and a multitude of smaller backpacking stoves but the classic two burner is the best thing for "car camping," which is essentially the same thing as tailgating. I've cooked some great meals on mine and would not trade them for anything!