Teams that use WSM smokers....

G

GratefulSmoker

I'm just curious to how many teams out there use WSM smokers? Be it just for an individual category or for all for. We are thinking about buying a 22 and an 18. Those two smokers together would be more room than the smoker that we are presently using to compete. Thanks guys!

I compete with 2 18" wsms and typically have a 3rd one for reserve if I need it but rarely end up using it.

I'm not sure on what the % is across the country but from what I've seen over the past few years, I think it would be fair to say a minimum of 10% of teams are using a WSM(s) in some capacity.

For a while I was using an offset (ribs/chicken) and 2 WSM's (brisket/butts) at comps

Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you haul them with an enclosed trailer? Or just haul them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!

Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you use them with an enclosed trailer? Or just hall them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!
I fit my entire comp setup in my ford e250 cargo van, at night its empty and I inflate my aerobed and sleep in it. Works for me

WSMs are the perfect entry level smoker, but some teams are so successful with them they never upgrade. We use 3 WSM's and love em. Because they are small and breakdown into pieces, they are easily transportable. I just throw em' in the back of my burban away we go! You should definitely join the club!

Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you haul them with an enclosed trailer? Or just haul them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!

I used to load up the back of my best friend/teammates truck with all of our gear.

I just bought a 5x8 enclosed trailer and I haul all of my stuff in that now.

Alright, while I'm asking a million questions lol....do you all think that one 22, one 18 and one Kettle would be enough room? We have been using a couple small cheap backyard smokers and the kettle, and have done well...but, the cheapos are falling to pieces due to the number of cooks on them.

Alright, while I'm asking a million questions lol....do you all think that one 22, one 18 and one Kettle would be enough room? We have been using a couple small cheap backyard smokers and the kettle, and have done well...but, the cheapos are falling to pieces due to the number of cooks on them.
Yes it will be sufficient.

I use and will continue to use 3 18 inch wsms. Easy to transport, I dont have to touch them, and I do alright with them. I have a 22 inch wsm somewhere too that I will use for practice but not for comps.

SIDE, it was actually your video on YouTube that made me think about competing with WSMs. I like your set up very much. Might just try to copy it :)

We use 2 WSMs (and will have a 22" WSM after WilliePallooza!!!) and love them. We could use a third but two works.

SIDE, it was actually your video on YouTube that made me think about competing with WSMs. I like your set up very much. Might just try to copy it :)

Ah cool. Send me any questions you have but you can't go wrong. I built my trailer specifically around 18 inch wsms. They're light to tow, don't take up much space, and you don't have to baby sit them.

Back