Is BBQ'ing the manly thing to do?

Smok'n n Joke'n

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
From every thing I've seen here on this site, i have come to the conclusion (In MY head) that 95% of the people here, and most other sites like this one, are MEN. Why is that? Do women not like to BBQ/smoke/grill? My wife...says she (and i Quote) will not,won't,heck no....no way. She says it's the man's job.........What say you..

That is like saying women should be doing the inside house work (dishes, vacuuming, etc) while men do the outside work (lawnwork, power washing, etc)

Who cares what gender you are for what role you fill in the household. One of my friend's wife enjoys doing the grilling and lawn work, while he prefers doing the laundry and dishes. Whatever works for them.

I can only speak for my wife, but I think she might take an interest if I used a pellet pooper or something. Me being all stinky and dirty while cooking is just a little too rustic of a style for her to engage in. That being said, she helps with whatever I need along with my kids (including rubbing, trimming, wrapping and a whole slew of other things).

Honestly, I think many times it's the way men can cook for their families and friends.

I'm in no way saying we can't cook indoors, but it seems more like a cultural thing.
Plus we all like playing with fire don't we?

Fire, Meat, & full bellies tend to be manly attributes. However, that does not mean its a man only club. Some of the best BBQ i have eaten has come from women cooks.

Eh, a woman's place is right the heck OUT of my kitchen, unless she knows what she's doing. Same goes for men. My kitchen just happens to extend past the breakfast table, out the back door, and onto the patio.

Lucky for me I'm just as addicted to bubble baths as I am to outdoor cooking. :mrgreen: :thumb:

I think it's great that you all cook for your families. :cool:

The funny thing about it Jeanie is that she is the opposite of most women when it comes to style. She literally does not own a piece of makeup (NONE!) or jewelry (other than her engagement and wedding ring), wears jeans and tees pretty much every day and wears her hair long and straight. Not sure what it is about the smoke and grease since she gets plenty dirty helping me.

You all are missing the point. Females tend to be much craftier then us men, letting us think we do a much better job at cooking, by stroking our egos. Does not take much to get us pumped up ya know, therefore we do most of it.

Now in my house my wife does laundry, and will not even consider me doing it, because I have at least out crafted her, in that department, and let her think she does that best. Granted a few items first had to be ruined by me. :roll:
Dave

I'm a better cook than my girl friend outside or inside. I do leave dessert up to her though since I don't like sweets though.

Cooking is an interesting subject to look at the sexes. In the restaurant world there seems to be more chefs who are men, while many view the kitchen as the woman's domain. I've always thought these stereotypes very inconsistent.

In my house I do the majority of the cooking. My wife is a good cook but doesn't enjoy it like I do. She does enjoy yard work though so I let her do that. :-D

I do think in our culture men tend to be the ones to tend the fires for cooking outside though. There are women that do it too but men seem more happy to do it.

Back