Redstone Smoker (part 2)

Brizz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Had to revitalize the thread as the old one was 156 days old. Any last thoughts on this little smoker, gentleman? It's $29 now. I'm thinking of snagging one for Christmas to play with during the winter and for camping next year. Is there any reason to spend $50 more for a Brinkmann (or something similar) to putz around with?

What is this Redstone Smoker you speak of? You didn't revitalize an old thread, you started a new one.

It's like a midi UDS available at Tractor Supply? Lemme go look... Yes, Tractor Suppy. Similar but inferior design to a 18.5" WSM. Probably needs mods for long cooks.

For $29.00, it would be a good option for the "hobbyist" who doesn't mind spending a few hours and a few bucks on extras to mod the heck out of it.

Edit: Ignore the two 1 star reviews on the site, they both were expecting the cooker to do all the work for them. "No instructions on what temps and how long to cook different cuts of meat to so I gave it 1 star" /ignore. Other review was complaining about the lower rack that rests on top of the low resting water pan. Yes that's a bad design, but nothing 15 minutes a few small pieces of hardare and some creative thinking could fix. So in reality, there hasn't been a review posted by anyone who knows how to operate this type of cooker. Think of it as a hybrid wsm/uds of the 18" variety, and modding accordingly.

I got one back in the spring & have been working on some mods. Overall it is what it is a inexpensive backyard smoker. It is a 1 level smoker & water pan sits right under meat & the one time I used water it seemed to wash all flavor out so I just tin foil water pan instead & temps seem to stay fine. I've bought some expanded sheet metal & cut a round piece small enough that it sits lower in the bottom section allowing more charcoal for longer burns but otherwise you could drill holes in the bottom pan which is the charcoal pan for airflow I just went a different way. The bottome vents don't seem to control temp very well due to even when closed there's a wide gap so it doesn't seem to matter what you have them set at for control. Temp control seems more done like a minion method by how large a fire you start with. Mine doesn't leak much at all other than the bottom air vents. I've not cooked many times on it so I'm still working the tricks out on it.

Overall, you might be better to go ahead w/ a ECB instead but for that price you might spring for it just don't expect to get championship meats off it & plan on some mods adding to the price. As said above kinda a bad design

Here's link to some pics of when I broke it out of the box & before mods - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139717

Last edited:
Back