Brisket Slicers

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
One of the common questions for competitors is the best brisket slicing knife to get. Most people recommend the Forschner, but I just came across some good deals on slicers if any one is in the market.

Webstaurant Store has a 12" white handle, granton edge slicer for < $10, a Mercer 11" slicer for < $15, and a Mercer 14" slicer for < $20. I have not used any of these, but I just got a Mercer carving fork, and the Santoprene handle on it is very similar to "Fibrox." If any one is in the market for a slicer this off season, I thought you might wanna know about these bargains. If you get one of the Mercers, please share your thoughts!

dmp

We have a Mercer slicing knife. It is a good knife. The blade is very soft, so it dulls quickly, but also sharpens easily. I would recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot of money and know how to sharpen your own knives.

Eggspert BBQ

I have the custom Wustof from MABA and we use it for a lot more than slicing brisket flats. It does a good job. The only issue I have (never raised it before) is that I treat the thing like it's made of platinum but I've been told that it has a kink or bend both times I got it sharpened. I always keep it in the guard too. Again, never complained to the merchant about it but something worth considering. Especially for a $150 knife.

I would have to wonder, can you not see the link in the Wysthof MABA knife? I would think a kink or bend would be obvious.

You cannot see it looking down the knike. You can only see the spot on the very cutting edge where there is a slight imperfection. Hard to explain. Still cuts fine as far as I'm concerned. But the sharpeners keep pointing it out to me so afraid it is going to break one of these times I get it done.

You cannot see it looking down the knike. You can only see the spot on the very cutting edge where there is a slight imperfection. Hard to explain. Still cuts fine as far as I'm concerned. But the sharpeners keep pointing it out to me so afraid it is going to break one of these times I get it done.
Hmmmmm, I just put 6 of them on my machinist's flat stone and they're all flat and straight. It's possible you have one with a flaw. I'll be glad to swap it out for you.

Hmmmmm, I just put 6 of them on my machinist's flat stone and they're all flat and straight. It's possible you have one with a flaw. I'll be glad to swap it out for you.

Now how's that for service.:clap:
I bought one from these guys last season and love it!:grin:

Slamdunkpro- I did not mean to imply that it came to me that way. We used it a fair amount without issues (and still do) and someone else had to tell me there was a problem with it. lol. It's kind of like finding the first scratch in your new car. Thanks so much for the offer. I really appreciate it.

I've had that knife you sold me for about a year now.. love it!!.. I call it 'Conan'. It slices stupid-good!

Just got one of those Wustof's at the banquet. Looking forward to using it this weekend. I never have gotten the hang of using electric knives.

I also got a MABA custom Wustof. I used to use it only for briskets, but now I use it for everything, one sweet knife :clap:

What is a "good" electric knife?
Best one ever had was the discontinued $15 Black & Decker with the overhead loop handle and the long scalloped blades. Haven't seen one in years but they had the sharpest and easiest to resharpen blades that left no saw marks.

Back