Spare Ribs. Pintos and Jalapeno Cornbread

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I smoked a small slab of spares on my UDS, wanted to use the trimmings for a pot of pintos.

I usually oil the ribs and sprinkle with rub, but this time I tried brushing them with some bacon drippings...then used a smoked seasoned salt.

100_7193-1.jpg

Fired up my drum...added some hickory.

100_7194-1.jpg

Smoked them for 1 1/2 hrs at about 250, then foiled the ribs with a mixture of beer, dales marinade and cayenne.

100_7207-1.jpg

Back onto the smoker for another 1 1/2 hrs. Also added a pan of scalloped potatoes...

Removed the foil and smoked for another hour...until tender....

100_7268-1.jpg

The scalloped potatoes and smoked trimmings....

100_7271-1.jpg

100_7273-1.jpg

They came out great. The rib slab was so small, they didn't take long.
The flavor of the bacon drippings, smoked seasoned salt, beer, marinade and cayenne added enough flavor, I served my sauce on the side.

100_7278-1.jpg

The next day.....

I made a batch of pinto beans. I sort, then soak the dried pintos in cool water overnight, drain and add fresh water to cover.
Let them simmer on low all day..
To this batch I added the smoked rib trimmings, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 bay leaf, and a couple pinches of oregano and thyme, kosher salt and cracked black pepper.......
I add the salt after the beans have become tender.

005-1-3.jpg

Made a skillet of jalapeno cornbread, with minced onion, whole corn and chopped jalapenos.....

061-1.jpg

The pintos with smoked rib trimmings and jalapeno cornbread...

068-1.jpg

Once again.... Bravo :eusa_clap Nice Pron :!: How was the pinto w/trimmings :?:

You and Rick are killing me. I gain 10 pounds everytime I look at the computer screen. Great job!!!!

That is some fine looking eats, there, Cowgirl! It all looked great. Can't go wrong with a pot of pintos that look that good!

Cowgirl! You are the bomb. Great looking food. Those pintos are fantastic looking.

Luvin them beans! :biggrin:

That all looks Great! Beans and cornbread are on of my favorites!

Looks great, but you really need to put more food on those plates :-D

bacon drippings, humm, interesting. both meals look excellent, yum!

thanks for posting the pron!

Thank you folks!
Gary, the beans were very tasty. The smoked trimmings added just the touch of smoke I needed for the dish. :wink:

JimDandy, I'm pretty sure I sent your invite....:biggrin:

Dang. I just finished lunch and want to hit them beans and corn bread right now.

Looks real fine...The beans and corn bread is a meal my Dad would have very much enjoyed!

Great use of the trimmings, Cowgirl. As always, your creativity is inspiring. Need to make some beans, soon.

Back