Chet's Whiskey Barrel Smoker

I got the brinkman electric converstion unit. I set it on a grate on the bottom of the barrel and set up the cooking grates. I have not decided on a chimney yet (suggestions are welcome). Using some dryer exhaust tubing, I made a cheap chimney. Shut the lid, locked it down and plugged it in. Let it run for 2 hours and checked it. 217°, not so great, but at least above 200°.

I unplugged it and set it on an old charcoal bowl I had laying around. Lifted it about 6 inches. I filled it with lava rocks. Set everything back in place. And plugged it back in....
30 minutes later, 244°. I'm gonna leave it on for a few more hours and see where I end up. Very happy so far. Smoke was nice and constant.

I do have a question. I ordered some Weber replacement cooking grates and they came already started to rust. Is this normal? I cleaned them off and sprayed them down with olive oil for the testing.

Next question, and this is the important one... What should I do for the first cook?

Last edited:
Updated Pic. Smoke stack is temp.

img1967km.jpg

So, in less you missed my cook thread. The electric unit didn't do a good job. No smoke flavor... So I am going to be building a UDS Charcoal basket. I think if I set the basket in a high walled large bowl, it will shield the barrel from the heat.

Try Fastenal, they are going to be much cheaper than Lowes and you can get exactly what you're looking for.
Subscribing to your build.

X2

And if you describe you're situation they'll be able to recommend the right screw for the job.

Good luck on the build. I can't wait to see the end result.

Back