Looks like a new smoker being built

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Over the next couple of weeks, it looks like we're going to be getting a smoker built.

There's a guy that goes to church with my partner that is a welder and has been playing around for quite a while with smokers. He's going to try one of two designs, and the inside will be coated with a concrete like material he uses in his foundry. He did some tests, and it insulates very well; he thinks we can have a good sized cook surface yet keep temps steady for hours with little interaction. It's not going to cost much of anything, so I'm willing to give it a shot...

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some pics along the way!

Curt,
That sounds great but you better find out whats in that stuff he uses for his foundry. The words foundry and food does not sound to appealing to the pallet. There could be all kinds of Nasty's in that stuff.
I'm just thinkin'

He's checked that out... it's just an insulating material... nothing toxic in it... no asbestos, either. :) From what I understand (just talked to him some more), there will be 2 layers of steel, with the insulator in between, anyway.

Yes, offset firebox, though he's also playing around with setting up an insulated baffle on the bottom so that the heat is indirect. He knows the temps I want to cook with and is working with that.

I don't know if it's going to turn out, but it will be fun trying it out. I keep thinking of being able to cook all night without having to get up and check the fire every hour... :)

One design we're talking about is kind of a round ball type of chamber, with a cooking grate that turns so that we can put food on it, turn it, add more, etc.

I know you said a "round chamber," but will it be something like this? Stumps is making a Lang-like smoker, which is insulated with an offset firebox and reverse flow. Pretty cool idea. It looks like Spice has some catching up to do! I love the idea of the Spicewine style cooker, but I wanted to burn sticks. Thats why I bought a different style smoker.

Attachments

• offset2.jpg
    offset2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 130
I like the look of that one.... but with the one being built, I don't really know other than a couple of conversations... I wish I at least had some drawings, but it's going to be a bit of just waiting to see, which I'm ok with since I'm not spending very much money on it.

Not much money may equal good, or may equal "let's try again"!

Congrats on the new smoker Curt. Hope it works out well for ya. I'll be picking mine up at the Gator shop any day now.

Trust me Bob, I'm anxious to see your Gator, too... Wish I had the coin to put into one that size, but I'm hoping this does well for a time period to get us there at least!

Back