Wild Leek Sunday...

Budman1

is one Smokin' Farker
Spring finally made an appearance here in Western New York, so yesterday the wife, I and our faithful companion went back in the woods to get some wild leeks (or ramps if you live in other parts), timing was perfect. Today I searching for leek recipes and found this one for "Wild Leek Pie". I was a little skeptical at first, but it was mighty tasty. Definitely a keeper. It fit in perfect with some pulled pork, ribs and shrimp on the UDS. Here's a few pics of a beautiful Sunday. Got dinner in just before the rain hit.

Leek recipes-http://north-link.net/cmsakry/1pub/8904mod1.htm

100_4344.jpg

100_4345-1.jpg

100_4351-1.jpg

using my favorite temp controller
100_4353-1.jpg

Duke sleeping on the job
100_4354-1.jpg

100_4361-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good mate, does the wild leek taste like store bought?
Duke looks real stressed mate:laugh:

Did some reading about ramps because I raise them. There were some references about being like a leek. What! Not true! You can buy leeks in the store but not a ramp. Ramps are sold at outdoor events because of the strong odor. Much stronger than a leek. One tiny ramp has as much power as a whole basket of leeks. I like them both. Caution, don't eat ramps around someone you like.

Looks good mate, does the wild leek taste like store bought?
Duke looks real stressed mate:laugh:

I always pick them wild, so I really don't know. Rumor has it, and as Captdan says, that wild leeks are a lot stronger than commercially grown leeks or ramps. Up here in New York we call them "leeks", a little farther south, towards West Virginia they call them "Ramps". And as Captdan states "Caution, don't eat ramps around someone you like."... Or eat them around somebody you don't like.:heh: We've pickled them before with good results and I've even seen wine made from them, though I haven't tasted it. Yet.

Titch,wild leek has a taste all of its own. Cross between garlic and onion. Not even close to the home grown/domesticated variety.

I use the white portions,cut lengthwise,dehydrate them and grind them up into ramp Powder. Awesome stuff. You have to use it sparingly though, it is potent.

Hey Budman, we're practically neighbors - I'm down in Allegany County, or as we say "Agony" County. I too have been partaking of spring's bounty lately. Keeps the in-laws away:wink:. Not to hijack, but here's a new one I tried a few weeks back, which went over huge with my fellow leek lovers: cold smoked leek dip. Just soften up some cream cheese, mix in some minced leeks (as many as you think you'd like, (I liked a ton), some shredded cheddar, a splash of vinegar (I used my home made cider vinegar), some crisp bacon bits and some black pepper. I lined a shallow aluminum pan with cling wrap, plopped the dip in and spread it out to get a good surface area, and cold smoked with my Amaze-n-Smoker for about 5 hours with hickory pellets. Killer.

Hope you didn't work inside the next day. My experience with these when living up North was the next day was a good day to fumigate for any bugs. A bunch of guys at fishing camp drinking beer and eating ramps was really bad.

Back