cooked a tritip well done but very dry?

koloa

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
hi all,
fired up the egg today, this time in my nice wide open air backyard! anyways, i seared the triptip at 600 on both sides for 4 minutes each. afterwards, i cooked each side @ 350-400 for 20 mins a side. as you can tell by the photo, the tri tip was pretty dry. next time, i am going to aim for a < 30 min cook at 350-400 for a med well. should i be cooking at a lower temp? is tritip like boston butt where 'things' need to render at a lower temp? the triptip was a 1.5lber. thanks for the help!

photorx2.jpg

No, tri tip is pretty lean and I only cook mine to medium 145* at most.

I think you seared them too long at 600. Ninety seconds per side should be enough to get a good sear at that temperature. Then cook at the lower temperature until you get to the internal temp you want for doneness.

i cook mine indirect around 350 or so until around 135 then i grill direct for a char that i like. about a minute or two a side then thats it. should be a bit rare in the middle. never should it be medium or well done.

I do a reverse sear when I use the Egg, use the platesetter and smoke it indirect, pull the P/S and open the vent then sear it. It turns out OK, kind of a hassle. If there is a better way of cooking Tri-Tip on the Egg I'm all ears!

i cook mine indirect around 350 or so until around 135 then i grill direct for a char that i like. about a minute or two a side then thats it. should be a bit rare in the middle. never should it be medium or well done.

I cook my Tri the same way!! When cooked right:wink:... you got yourself a great dinner!

It's way over cooked. 48 minutes for 1.5 pound Tri-Tip is to long. And that's quite the fantastic smoke ring you got there in 48 minutes.

I use the Weber Kettle for my tri-tips. Quick sear and then indirect for about 30 minutes at about 300 degrees. And then back over the coals for some char. Through out the whole cook I am basting with a 50/50 mixture of butter (not margarine) and A1 Sauce. (Only use for A1 sauce is this baste)

I also might cut the Tri-Tip into long strip steaks and just grill each on until medium. Doing it this way it's a quick and tasty meal.

These were done with Spicewine "Gourmet Blend All Seasoning"
steaks-plated.jpg

A few weeks ago I did the whole Salt thing; made a video and everything. But honestly, I can say now that it sucked... totally... cept the taste. I wasn't gonna say it sucked after making a video about it but I can now. It sucks in comparison to reverse searing I mean. Toughened it up. Drier too than reverse sear.

I would say that the reverse searing technique ROCKS.... It Rocks on this cut as well. I believe that anyone that endorses the reverse sear also rocks, leaving behind them, all who haven't it. They are the unspoken hero's of the flame.

Heros all...right up there with my Great Grandfather Berndt, who died perfecting this technique in the 1930's aboard several noted Dirigibles. Always one step ahead of the Nazi's with his pre-war charcoal webber grilling for his fellow crewmen in those hidden cubbies between the gas bags as the great behemoth flew stoically over Lakehurst, New Jersey. Oh the smell was a delight aboard the LZ-129 that day.

Guys... I really don't think I can go on about it... all the humanity.

I have not tried the reverse sear, I sear mine first for about 2 minutes per side then smoke to about 135 internal. Let it rest for about 15 mins and slice against the grain. In thin slices, that is the key. I have not had any complaints on mine... I will try the reverse sear soon!!

Exactly as Trp1Fox says. Sear it as you did then depending on size, an average of about 30 minutes indirect and let it rest for 8-10 minutes before slicing.

A few weeks ago I did the whole Salt thing; made a video and everything. But honestly, I can say now that it sucked... totally... cept the taste. I wasn't gonna say it sucked after making a video about it but I can now. It sucks in comparison to reverse searing I mean. Toughened it up. Drier too than reverse sear.

I would say that the reverse searing technique ROCKS.... It Rocks on this cut as well. I believe that anyone that endorses the reverse sear also rocks, leaving behind them, all who haven't it. They are the unspoken hero's of the flame.

Heros all...right up there with my Great Grandfather Berndt, who died perfecting this technique in the 1930's aboard several noted Dirigibles. Always one step ahead of the Nazi's with his pre-war charcoal webber grilling for his fellow crewmen in those hidden cubbies between the gas bags as the great behemoth flew stoically over Lakehurst, New Jersey. Oh the smell was a delight aboard the LZ-129 that day.

Guys... I really don't think I can go on about it... all the humanity.

Thanks

I have to try that reverse sear myself. That being said, I have never had any complaints about my tri-tip cooks if I am left alone (and those that did complain were wrong). I also take em off at 130 to 135 to make sure that it goes to no more than medium rare (pink and warm in the middle). Anymore and the meat dries out is a flash.

I I am basting with a 50/50 mixture of butter (not margarine) and A1 Sauce. (Only use for A1 sauce is this baste)

I also might cut the Tri-Tip into long strip steaks and just grill each on until medium. Doing it this way it's a quick and tasty meal.

These were done with Spicewine "Gourmet Blend All Seasoning"

The basting sounds good, I never baste my TriTips but that butter and A1 sounds good. Gotta try the slicing and grilling too. My wife is always looking for TriTip on sale for me.

Rick

Back