"cheap" Replacement 22.5" grill grate

Infamous Dave

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I could swear that somewhere in that massive overgrown UDS thread, someone posted a link to a "cheap" 22.5" replacement grill grate that is not necessarily made by Weber. I can't find it anywhere plus I have been doing google searches looking for this with no luck.

Someone out there has to make a cheap grill grate, I can't find anything but Weber:mad:

If you have an Academy Sports store near you, they have a 22" replacement grates for like $7.

i picked mine up at Menard's - it has a black porcelain-like finish. Seems to be holding up real well in the UDS so far. It was about $9.

I agree, its not much money for the quality difference. I have both a weber grate and the one that came with the char broil kettle I bought at walmart for UDS parts. Although it works, for like 7 more bucks the Weber is a lot nicer. Its a heck of a lot sturdier plus the finish on it makes it ten times as easy to clean. If your dead set on a cheaper one though, then get it. Ive seen them at Academy and I think at lowes. Im sure it will serve its purpose.

If you have an Academy Sports store near you, they have a 22" replacement grates for like $7.

The ones at Academy are smaller, so you have to make sure your supports are long enough. You could walk by, kick your drum and have a grate fall. I may or may not know this from experience. :roll:

The thinner ones ok to make a coal grate from?
I wouldn't-they are taking the most abuse by holding the hot coals. Most of these places that sell the replacement grilling rack also sell a replacement coal rack that is smaller in diameter than the grilling rack, but the metal is much heftier. They are also cheaper and run around $10 at my home depot.

Someone out there has to make a cheap grill grate, I can't find anything but Weber

You get what you pay for.

Yes, you do get what you pay for, and if you set a Wally World cheapo next to the Weber, you will see you are paying for more with the Weber. Heft them, and you will also understand. The cheapo is serviceable, the Weber is durable.

i always look for weber grate sales in the fall. i got 6 flip up grates. under 5.00 for them. so yea keep lookin. also i see some at times on craigs list.

Back