Yet another Charcoal Basket question

ggriffi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After looking at the other posts about making baskets and realizing that I don't have tools and talent to make a basket, I'm curious as to what you all think of this idea. Instead of making a basket per se, what I plan on doing is cutting a piece of expanded metal to fit,making it a little wider than the 11" wide grate already in there (so it sits a little higher to help airflow), and then putting a 90 degree bend in it so that none of the coals can fall back to block the vent.

Does this sound like a plan?

TIA,

g

Its a start. Its cheap, and may work. Did you check out Spicewines site for his fire basket? Several guys here swear by them. Im kinda waiting for that new Charbroiler with the double lids to hit Lowes that Robert was testing in NY. Then Ill be right in there with you.

ggriffi said:
After looking at the other posts about making baskets and realizing that I don't have tools and talent to make a basket, I'm curious as to what you all think of this idea. Instead of making a basket per se, what I plan on doing is cutting a piece of expanded metal to fit,making it a little wider than the 11" wide grate already in there (so it sits a little higher to help airflow), and then putting a 90 degree bend in it so that none of the coals can fall back to block the vent.

Does this sound like a plan?

TIA,

g
here's the one I made for my offset
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19433

I've seen baskets made of stainless steel veggie baskets. But anything that raises it some, and keeps the coals together. The baskets restrict air flow to the coals. It allows lit coals to be placed on top of unlit coals and burn down. Your idea is an improved firegrate more than a basket.

thillin said:
I've seen baskets made of stainless steel veggie baskets. But anything that raises it some, and keeps the coals together. The baskets restrict air flow to the coals. It allows lit coals to be placed on top of unlit coals and burn down. Your idea is an improved firegrate more than a basket.

Thillin,

Wouldn't disagree at all about the fire grate description vs. basket. But I'm the kinda guy who measures twice, cuts once and then heads BACK to the lumber yard to get more wood or in this case more metal.

jpw,

Saw yours when I searched, wish I had that kinda talent. :confused:

seriously though they did have some small angle at the hardware stoe but it looked like it was galvanized so i stayed away from that. May just go back, but the reason that I am thinking about doing mine the way I described is that I have come in to some pecan wood and thought that after the intial chimney of charcoal that a grate might be the better way to go for me.

Thanks again all,

g

All I did was bend that by hand.......just make the piece 4-5" bigger all around and cut to the dimention that you want..then fold it up...al lot like you were describing in your first post.

Guess we'll try that. After what's another $15, if i screw up, huh?

BTW, since it just ended, Louisville or Kentucky?
Hear that is a great rivalry.

g

ggriffi said:
Guess we'll try that. After what's another $15, if i screw up, huh?

BTW, since it just ended, Louisville or Kentucky?
Hear that is a great rivalry.

g

Oh yeah....huge rivalry! Don't know the outcome though. I don't have the attention span to keep up with ball games...my grand-dad however could listen to one on the radio, read about one in the paper and watch one on tv at the same time and tell you about all three.

jpw23 said:
Oh yeah....huge rivalry! Don't know the outcome though. I don't have the attention span to keep up with ball games...my grand-dad however could listen to one on the radio, read about one in the paper and watch one on tv at the same time and tell you about all three.

UK won

g

I made my first one using steel angle and expanded metal. You can get a pretty accurate bend on the expanded metal by just clamping it between two 2x4's and using the garage floor and the 2x4's to make the bend. Tapping with a hammer before unclamping the 2x4's also helps to make a sharper bend. With my first one, I just used nuts and bolts to connect it together. With my current one, I hired a welder to put together the parts. You can see it here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/smokinbadger/Charcoalbasket/photo#5001555792419618834

Back