Muffins belong to a class of baked goods known as quick breads. Unlike yeast breads, the more commonly recognized bread type, quick breads utilize chemical leavening to create a unform, tender, dense crumb. Although often regarded as seperate from yeast breads, this class of bread predates the use of yeast as a leavening and has been traced to ancient baking practices of the middle east and norther African cultures.

If you can make a sandwich out of them, then you're good.

Yup, here's a sandwich with muffins...
muffins2_sm.jpg

A radish sandwich made with zucchini muffins? :shock: I don't think that even qualifies as food.

Well this is my first throwdown entry... hopefully these pics aren't too big. I made em 1024 wide, so just holler back if they are too big. This is one of my classic tricks for pizza, the upside down pizza. You get a nice thick fluffy crust and don't have to worry about piling on the toppings and messing up the crust. I should mention that this is best done with a white-bread-like dough because richer breads like wheat will overpower the toppings and mess up the fluffy texture.

Also, apologies for the cavelike lighting in my apt. and the low aperture. I kept experimenting with flash and without haha. Hope you enjoy!

First and foremost... get your bread made early and let her rise for a couple o hours
IMG_2125_compressed.jpg

Sear los tomates in the cast iron skillet
IMG_2130_compressed.jpg

Add some onions, bit o peppa, acid, salt, pinch of sugar etc...
IMG_2131_compressed.jpg

Add the toppings, yaya i know.. ran out of pepperoni
IMG_2128_compressed.jpg

Add LOTS OF CHEESE
IMG_2129_compressed.jpg

Cook the sauce down or hack it to bits in the food processor if you're in a hurry
IMG_2133_compressed.jpg

Plop the risen dough on top, and allow to re-rise after shaping for 30min
IMG_2134_compressed.jpg

Bake (well smoke really)
IMG_2135_compressed.jpg

Flip and EAT!
IMG_2137_compressed.jpg

The cheese probably looks a bit overburnt, but it tasted awesome. Gotta love burnt cheese!

Anyway, gotta say my vote will probably go to mr. pulled pork stickybuns. Little too much sauce on there for my taste, but a fantastic idea and great pics! Good luck to all.

Edit: I guess I should mention... You can use either of the last two pics for the entry. Thanks.

Muffins belong to a class of baked goods known as quick breads. Unlike yeast breads, the more commonly recognized bread type, quick breads utilize chemical leavening to create a unform, tender, dense crumb. Although often regarded as seperate from yeast breads, this class of bread predates the use of yeast as a leavening and has been traced to ancient baking practices of the middle east and norther African cultures.

Since bread was mentioned 6 times I guess they count as Bread. :twisted:

Please see the link below to the "Cooking with the Master" episode that was previously submitted.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94687

The rest of this might be a spoiler if you don't visit that first. I'm not the biggest of bread fans, although my wife constantly makes bread after bread that is not just something to hold the meat with, but is also delicious all on its own. Of course I have no skill in such matters, so I took this throwdown, not as making bread, but using it as the main ingredient in something. Yes, the loaf I used is homemade, but not by me certainly.

So, what did I do? Well, I enjoy brewing beer, cider and sometimes mead. I'm also familiar with a few other brews and recently had some kvass in Ukraine and also talked extensively with a Russian colleague who makes the stuff regularly. Kvass is a drink made from bread, almost always dark rye. It can be made start to finish in less than a week, which made it ideal for a throwdown. It is only slightly alcoholic, so it does not require aging -- it is actually considered a soft drink and drunk by people of all ages. I did not have rye bread handy, and went with a loaf of white. The other thing that I did with mine (other than smoke the bread dry, which is just plain weird) is forced effervescence on two of the bottles. I could have done this safely, but I didn't have time and I did this by releasing the gas (that builds up when the yeast turns the sugar into alcohol) over the first 24 hours, then kept the bottles sealed until it was time to drink. I would not recommend this as it can create "bottle bombs" that can explode. So, here is my version of kvass made with smoked bread:

IMG_1188.jpg

Not sure whether this one is better than the one of Ninja passed out.

This is a terrible category as I still can't decide what to submit. On Wednesday, we brought in lunches for the teachers and I made some focaccia. I mixed up some dough

IMG_1155.jpg

adding sundried tomatoes and forming into logs.

IMG_1157.jpg

These were rolled flat and covered with homemade pesto

IMG_1160.jpg

and then baked in my Oval

IMG_1163.jpg

I turned these into sandwiches

IMG_1167.jpg

Today, I made some sweet-potato rolls with dried cranberries. These are one of our favorites for Thanksgiving. I make dough from cooked sweet potato.
IMG_5506.jpg

I add dried cranberries and cardamom

IMG_5513.jpg

I rolled these into crescent rolls

IMG_5532.jpg

brushed with egg, and baked in my oval

IMG_5533.jpg

They come out tender

IMG_5538.jpg

They're good warm with a bit of butter

IMG_5539.jpg

and a cup of coffee

IMG_5542-1-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is my entry...... but I have company coming this weekend and I have one more thing I might make. But company weekends being what they are I thought I better submit this just in case.
Thanks for looking!

Dang is right. So much for my bread entry which I haven't even decided on what it is even going to be. You've done it again, ecode. Bravo! :clap:

I vote that ecode be banned from future throwdowns! :becky: :becky: :becky:

Great job as usual! Can I talk you into sharing the recipes? Please :pray:

I like bread with meat so, since after 2 failed attempts to bake some Italian bread in my UDS, I decided to try some pirozhki. The dough recipe consisted of AP flour, salt, sugar, eggs, oil, milk, and dry yeast. The meat filling was ground beef sloppy joes. After making the dough, I rolled out a 4 to 5 inch circle and filled it with the beef mixture, sealing into a "bun". The pirozhki were fried over a charcoal chimney in a cast iron skillet at 350*F. It did take several tries but I finally got a few to cooperate. They tasted real good! Thanks for looking.
filleddough.jpg

filledfilling.jpg

filledfilled.jpg

fillingfrying.jpg

fillingdone.jpg

fillingplate2.jpg
My entry, Thanks for looking

Oh my, that looks good! This is shaping up to be another really tough vote.

Great job as usual! Can I talk you into sharing the recipes? Please :pray:

This recipe has been around for awhile. I think I got it out of a Bon Appetite about 15 years ago and been baking them ever since. I've made a few adjustments to it below.

Sweet Potato Rolls

• 1 14- to 16-ounce red-skinned sweet potato (baked){should be one cup mashed}
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 6 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. dry yeast

• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 3 1/4 cups (about) all purpose flour
  • 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries or golden raisins
  • 1 large beaten egg
Heat half and half and 1 tablespoon brown sugar until thermometer registers 105°F. to 115°F. Sprinkle yeast over; stir to blend. Let stand until yeast dissolves and is slightly foamy, about 12 minutes. Fit mixer with dough hook. Add remaining 5 tablespoons brown sugar, melted butter, salt and cardamom to mashed sweet potato in bowl and beat until smooth and well blended. Add yeast mixture and mix until blended. At medium speed, beat in enough flour, 1 cup at a time, to form soft dough. Beat 3 minutes (dough will be soft). Turn out dough onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour by tablespoons if too sticky, about 6 minutes. Knead in dried cherries. Butter large bowl. Form dough into ball and add to bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.

Butter 2 heavy large baking sheets. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured surface. Divide dough in half. Using rolling pin, roll 1 dough piece to 12-inch-diameter round (if dough retracts during rolling, stop occasionally and gently pull and stretch dough with fingertips, then continue rolling). Repeat with remaining dough piece. Cut each round into 8 equal triangles. Starting at wide end of triangle, roll up toward point of triangle, stretching dough slightly with fingertips as triangle is rolled up. Brush point lightly with glaze; press to seal. Place 8 rolls on each prepared sheet, shaping into crescents and spacing evenly. Cover rolls with towel. Let rise in warm draft-free area until light and puffy, about 30 minutes.

Position 1 rack in center and 1 rack in top third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Brush rolls with glaze. Bake until rolls are golden and sound hollow when tapped on bottom, switching top and bottom baking sheets halfway through baking, about 15 minutes. Cool rolls on racks.

I often cook them one sheet at a time as well, the extra 15 to 20 min. extra waiting time doesn't seem to bother the rolls. Also prefer them with dried cranberries.

The original recipe says that they freeze well, just wrap them up in foil and to reheat, place them wrapped in foil in a 350F oven for 10 min.

Make sure you post pictures!

Had some relatives over and made a few things. I figure it's made with dough, so it is of interest, but I don't think I'll be entering these (got that Chris), as the kvass stands alone. We had a couple pizzas, one standard pepperoni

IMG_0003.jpg

and one with spinach and artichoke hearts.

IMG_0002.jpg

The extra pizza dough was sliced thin and rolled with cheddar cheese in the center.

IMG_0007.jpg

Then cooked on the Oval:

IMG_0009.jpg

Of course I had a little help.

That Spinach and Artichoke Pizza pretty much stands alone too!:hungry: What's a delivery estimate?

Just showing everyone how lucky I am, Honey.

You're not wrong there dude... My wife can't (won't) boil an egg. She says it's because I'm such a good cook, she doesn't need too! Now, having said that, she's awesome at a lot of other things... no funny idea's fellas.... I'm not just talking :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:...

But yes, it sure would be nice if she cooked just once a year...

You two, certainly have something extra special:thumb:

Cheers!

Bill

Back