Wood: What do you pay?

trufunk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm in San Antonio and bought some wood this weekend. I went to two places here is what I bought and paid. The two white bags were oak $12 and mesquite $15. (this was from a different place than where I wanted to go, only went there because I could not find the other. Under that you can see additional larger pieces I got 25 oak and 25 mesquite for $20. For me I like the larger pieces for $20. I can cut into smaller pieces if I need to. They are about 24 in long. What are you guys paying locally?
picture.php

Ive been doing pretty good with no having to pay for anything as I have friends with tree companys and after hurricane sandy there was more free wood than you can imagine. Though I usually only have Oak and Maple locally. An Apple Orchard south of me sells a 4'x4' apple bins full of apple rounds for $50 though

Nothing. I can cut hickory, white oak, post oak, cherry, apple, and a lot more by the truckload off my place or at my workplace.

If I wanted nothing but oak (and I was willing to split it myself), I could probably get it for free. But, I want oak and hickory (and I'm lazy) so I pay $60 for a Toyota Tacoma truckload (I have a shortbed.) The wood is already cut into 16" lengths and split.

I buy maple for $20 for a 18lb sack of heartwood chunks. Same thing for Apple and Cherry. Hickory I go out to the farm and split and chunk it for the price of fuel. We have hickory galore out there.

I don't own a stick burner anymore so my wood consumption is a lot lower than it once was so 18lbs of each kind of wood lasts me long enough to justify the cost.

I buy 1-2 cords of wood a year for my fireplace. Most of it is red oak, I just cut it up for my WSM. If I feel like something different, I grab a bag or two at the HD.

This was the first time I went to buy wood for my new stick burner, there is another place close to me that I will check their prices too. Maybe I need to buy a chain saw?:razz:

I have a couple apple orchards close buy that always give me a few logs when I need them. I have not needed any apple in over 4 years! I am down to my last log though and it's pretty dry. I also have a guy that will give me logs of cherry from the trees he cuts. Hickory, or Pecan, I usually buy at Home Depot. Oak is pretty plentiful around here also so I usually just cut my own.

seems to me the question is to people who actually have to pay for wood and dont get it for free.

I paid $60 for a 1/2 face cord of seasoned split hickory and cherry, this is in SE Michigan, I am sure its different wherever you live

Stacked pallet of splits 48x42x52h.A little less than 1/2 a cord
air dried black jack oak $75
kiln dried hickory $200
I use the oak for fires & hickory in my smoker
In a pinch, I've still got about 15 acres of hardwood, a chainsaw and a mule (Kawasaki, not organic)

I pay 100 for a 50/50 mixed cord of pecan and mesquite delivered and stacked

$800 for a truck load of tree length to heat the house. Got plenty for cooking!

I get seasoned oak and apple in these parts for around $125-150 a cord. For about 25 bucks more they will deliver.

Your prices look pretty good for those size sacks. If you buy from someone who sells firewood and buy in larger quantities you can get your per piece price lower. It all depends on how much wood you go through in a season. Sometimes the convenience of just grabbing a bag of wood at the store is worth the $15. If you are cooking on just wood that might not be so practical.

Back