• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I need some KCBS garnish advice/help please.

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I'm doing my first KCBS competition in 2 weeks after doing two MBN comps this year so far. I have read some threads on here in my brief garnish research.

I have a few questions. First is for the KCBS judges out there. Keep in mind I do fully plan to garnish, but in general.............. If you don't garnish does that really matter? Does appearance get knocked if there is no garnish?

Then what is the most simple effective way of picking parsley to put in the box? I've read of people taking hours for each box to make them look perfect. Since I've done well in my first 2 MBN comps I want to take this seriously, but couldn't fathom taking hours to pick parsley.

Finally I know you can use certain lettuce and should I just go this route and what would be the easy way to do lettuce? What lettuce can you use?

Garnish isn't required in KCBS but unless you have been doing FBA contests and have mastered creating a beautiful box without garnish, I think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you turn in a box without garnish. Do a search here on the site for turn-in boxes and look at the pictures that so many members have generously shared and try to replicate them. Practice at home before your contest.

Garnish isn't required in KCBS but unless you have been doing FBA contests and have mastered creating a beautiful box without garnish, I think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you turn in a box without garnish. Do a search here on the site for turn-in boxes and look at the pictures that so many members have generously shared and try to replicate them. Practice at home before your contest.

Thanks. I have started to find some good turn in box examples of parsley, but there really aren't examples of how to pick off the parsley. I guess you just pinch the stuff off the end and put it in there.

Make a parsley bunch in your fingers, trying to keep them around the same level. I hold at the base of the heads then just tear and place in a corner and work out form there. Keep building, don't try and keep every little piece up (it will drive you nuts). Keep working until the box is full and then determine how dense you want it and add more if you want. Make sure to fix the sides and then you should be good.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Make a parsley bunch in your fingers, trying to keep them around the same level. I hold at the base of the heads then just tear and place in a corner and work out form there. Keep building, don't try and keep every little piece up (it will drive you nuts). Keep working until the box is full and then determine how dense you want it and add more if you want. Make sure to fix the sides and then you should be good.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

This is great. So pulling small bunches off vs like pulling off 1 stem at a time. This is exactly the type tips I would have no idea about. I'll be doing some practice boxes this week. Guess I'll have to cook some BBQ.......bummer.

Another thing. Try to make sure you put the same shade of color into the box. If for some reason you can't, put the 'bad' shade in the middle where the meat will cover it.

I can do a box in about 10 minutes, just takes practice.

Another thing. Try to make sure you put the same shade of color into the box. If for some reason you can't, put the 'bad' shade in the middle where the meat will cover it.

I can do a box in about 10 minutes, just takes practice.

Another great tip. Put the bad stuff in the middle :). This really is helpful. 10mins isn't too bad. I'll have to practice of course before I get that good, but just good to know it may not take an hour.

Fnbish...

Check out http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

Cook submit their box and CBJ, Master Judges and other cooks critique them. There are all different styles of boxes so you can see what folks are turning in. You have no idea how they actually scored, but you can read the comments posted.

Fnbish...

Check out http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

Cook submit their box and CBJ, Master Judges and other cooks critique them. There are all different styles of boxes so you can see what folks are turning in. You have no idea how they actually scored, but you can read the comments posted.

I love it... They could call it "rate my box" :laugh:

Back