Practice box... opinons?

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Here's a practice box I did Sunday for ribs... Submitted to be torn apart by resident online judgementals, I mean judges. :-D

ribb.jpg

Looks great. Greenery looks really good... perfect really. Meat looks good. Placement is near perfect. The shine on the sauce looks a little flat. Try touching it up before placing in the box or spritzing with water/apple juice once in the box.

I'd give it an 8, holding back on a 9 because of the sauce factor. It detracts enough for me not to call it perfect. Damn good looking box, though.

Looks very nice. First thing I saw was you were one rib short I think. Six ribs is the norm, correct?

hmmm

It makes me want to take a piece and eat it. I would give it a 8. That is starting at the 6 and scoring up method. The only thing that I would work on is the sauce and the cut.

I am a CBJ.

I agree with Todd. That box is just about perfect! I think if the sauce were a little more "even looking" it would be a 9 for apperance.

is that 10 ribs or 5? If 5 (I think it's 10), ya might be in trouble.

I like the green, but keep in mind I've only done 1 comp, so take that for what it's worth. Agree, more shine - basing that off of other pics I've looked at. Close up the gab between rib 2 and 3.

They look awesome ... what time is dinner?

Looks very nice. First thing I saw was you were one rib short I think. Six ribs is the norm, correct?

there are actully 10 ribs in the box 2 rows of 5

very nice box but i have to agree about the shine and the cut. and i would drop the top row a little bit to make the second more noticable

Thanks for the feedback... Yes, there are 10. :) They actually were shinier than they're showing in the pic, probably due to lighting, but we usually spray with a quick apple juice/water mix before turn in, so that should help.

The cut wasn't great because I just grabbed ribs, and they weren't good racks.... I'll be pickier about the angles of the ribs when I get them this week.

You get a 9 from me. IMHO I think griping about the shine and the cut is being very pickyune.

Darn impressive box and some amazing garnish work!

Isn't the "Copywright 2007 Bucky McOinkums" on the lettuce considered marking, though?:twisted:

Greens are impressively uniform! Still not a big fan of stacking meat, but if you are trying to get more than 6 in the box about the only way you can, thats why I go with six. Would have scored that a 7 or 8, just depends which way the wind was blowing that day I guess!

Great garnish & the ribs look great as well. I am not a judge so I won't speculate on score. Try taking the picture at an angle, like when the judges see the table captian holding the box as he opens it. It will give you the same perspective. Just a thought!

Back