• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is the 4th time I've cooked this recipe. We love it at our house.

The rub.

RSGup1Z.jpg

Bird goes for a spin in the 18.5. Apple and cherry for smoke. KBB for fire.

ecAytz0.jpg

Ready to pull. The breast measures 170* internal temp.

c8k1FZd.jpg

Time to eat!

eSXQkVa.jpg

Delish.

A few changes for this cook: am still horsing around with the Hunsaker firebasket clone, checking out the Meater and cooked at 350* vs 450*.

I'm starting to like the firebasket. The grease dripping off the chicken burning on the diffuser gives the meat a great flavor.

One issue with using the Meater is that I still have to have a probe to monitor pit temp until the meat is placed in the cooker. Not a problem, just never thought about it before.
For some reason the Meater was seeing pit temp 30* or so below what the probe (Thermoworks Smoke) was registering. Possibly because it rotates with the chicken and is shielded from bottom heat 1/2 the time? Dunno. I really like the range of the Meater when linked to wifi. I can watch TV while dinner is cooking on the other side of the house - about 3 rooms away. It also updates the eta of the meat as the cook progresses which is a nice feature.

Cooked at 350* this time. Last cook (undocumented) was 450 - 500* and the skin became a little too carbonato. 350* sure increases cooking time. The skin was not crisp but it wasn't rubbery, either. The meat sure was juicy & tender. Next time, will go for 400*.

recipe:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/peruvian-style-spit-roasted-chicken-green-sauce/

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/green-sauce/

I haven't used that recipe, but serious eats has one similar. I'll put that green sauce on everything for the next week until I use it up. It's SO good.

I haven't used that recipe, but serious eats has one similar. I'll put that green sauce on everything for the next week until I use it up. It's SO good.

X2 on the sauce. Next time, I'm going to include the seeds from one of the jalapenos when I make it. Could be kicked up a bit.

Delicious looking plate, thanks for the info.
Peruvian chicken take outs are taking over near me.

Back