Grilling fish, vegetables and food that falls through the grate

Churrasqueiro Bob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys use for grilling fish, vegetables, potato slices etc so that they don't fall through the grate into the fire? I usually end up making a sacrifice or two to the fire gods and I'd like to hear how everyone else does it. I really don't want to grill the fish on foil or wrap the veggies in foil. I have used a piece of mesh screen successfully, but they are of cheap quality. I think I bought a pack of them at WalMart. I'd even consider making some expanded metal grates for my Performer and Jumbo Joe. Talk to me. :mrgreen:

The above ideas are marvelous. Something else that works quite well and is rather economical is a GraniteWare pizza pan--light weight, heats quickly, easy cleanup, handles readily. You also might find an alternative you like by visiting the bbq section of your local Lowes or Home Depot if available.

Last edited:
there are screens made for this. also ones that fold over for veggies. as far as fish i just do it direct on the grate as you shouldn't be messing with them anyway.

What do you guys use for grilling fish, vegetables, potato slices etc so that they don't fall through the grate into the fire? I usually end up making a sacrifice or two to the fire gods and I'd like to hear how everyone else does it. I really don't want to grill the fish on foil or wrap the veggies in foil. I have used a piece of mesh screen successfully, but they are of cheap quality. I think I bought a pack of them at WalMart. I'd even consider making some expanded metal grates for my Performer and Jumbo Joe. Talk to me. :mrgreen:

I often use oiled foil for fish, I use a stainless steel basket with slots for vegetables if they are cut up, of grates direct if large.
I've never had a problem at all.
Oh, I use the basket or foil option for filets of fish too.
Hope this helps.
Baskets purchased from weber.

I really try my best to try to grill directly on the grate when at all possible by just taking my time with sizes of items and placement on the grates. One good tip I picked up from Steven Raichlen for grilling fish is to always turn it over on to a clean part of the grate. This has really helped.

Sometimes, when doing veggies in particular things are just too small or too difficult to place. Depending on the items, I use either my Weber [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Style-6435-Professional-Grade-Grill/dp/B000WEIIOE/ref=pd_sim_lg_1"]grill pan[/ame] or [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6434-Professional-Grade-Vegetable-Basket/dp/B000WEIJUW/ref=pd_sim_lg_1"]vegetable basket[/ame]. I normally use the grill pan on my gasser and the vegetable basket on the Performer. Down side is they both take up a lot of room. In the case of the Performer it takes up the entire space. I had the opportunity to pick up a Q100 grill off CL for $25. The grate on it makes it ideal of grilling vegetables.

Last edited:
i just try to use placement to keep it from falling through and whatever does slip through, a sacrifice.

I grill veggies whole then chop/slice them after they are done.

picture.php

I use something similar to this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-06750X-Grilling-Removable/dp/B009UWLOF4/ref=sr_1_22?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1362235961&sr=1-22&keywords=grill+skillet"]Amazon.com: Mr. Bar-B-Q 06750X Non Stick Grilling Skillet with Removable Handle: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Thanks for the variety of ideas and links/description of the products used. Where could I find a piece of good quality screen? I would like to get try something that I could put right on the grate, maybe even cut it round to size. That way I could still use the whole grill. I know there are cast iron grates and Weber has the Gourmet Grate but I have never seen a quality mesh grate. I was thinking of something out of 1/2" or 3/4" expanded metal, maybe even ss. As suggested, the screen on top of the grill would be good too if I can find a good quality piece.

I will look into the items you guys have suggested and linked to. Home Depot and Lowes are starting to put there stuff out again here. I'll see what they have. And everyone feel free to chime in or add ideas. Thanks again.

I use one of these.

P1010093.JPG

If you're looking to cut something to size you should consider the frogmat idea.

Thanks for the frogmat tip and for the pic of what you are using.

CI with close spacing:

DSC_5951-PP.JPG

DSC_6216-PP.JPG

Where did you get the cast iron? Are they grates from an old grill or something? That looks like a good idea too.

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I thank all of you for your input. But will the fire gods get angry if I don't make an occasional sacrifice? :mrgreen:

Back