• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BEST COMP as Spectator

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sorry...to 'interrupt' the JACK ANXIETY!! IF, and I understand WHY NO ONE would WANT TO DO THIS!! you could attend ONE EVENT AS A SPECTATOR -

- Which would it be??? Jack, AR or MIM???

Say, for example, you were hangin with the MRS. for a weekend of BBQ and BEVS :sick: (other than standing in your driveway doing the same thing!) -- WHICH EVENT would be your preference??

As a competitor I want to cook the Jack. If I'm going to party and just hang out it's absolutely The Royal.

Been to Troy...ahh, the irony..:tongue:
troy.jpg

{photo J. Kennard}

Last edited:
I haven't been to the Royal but I had a BLAST at MIM, but I hung with a team, otherwise it would'nt have been nearly as entertaining...

Been to both the Royal and the Jack, we seem to find our way to the Jack more often then the Royal, but both are awsome.

Been to both the Royal and the Jack, we seem to find our way to the Jack more often then the Royal, but both are awsome.

The coolest comp we do every year is Madison IN. Awsome blues bands, Awsome setting. And for some reason the alcahol (sp) flows like nowhere I've ever been!!.......when I quit doing comps I will still do this one untill I die!!!

The Royal. My absolute favorite. The Jack is in the conversation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to MIM and The Jack multiple times as a "spectator," and I would recommend MIM for the following reasons: You're allowed to drink in public without the police sniffing your cup. There's more entertainment. More teams to see. You stand a better chance of being invited in to a party. On the down side with MIM, Parking's an expensive pain, when it's at Tom Lee Park, there's a LOT of walking. About a mile from end to end. It's almost always way too muddy and you have to pay to get in.

The Jack does have a few things going for it. Parking is easier, and it's easy to do close. It's also free to get in to The Jack. While there've been muddy years at The Jack, it's nothing like Tom Lee Park a couple weeks after Music Fest. If you find a team to hang out with, you won't get kicked out at midnight. It's easier to walk around, but there are less vendors and things to do. There's also a lot less going on outside of the event. MIM is downtown, right off of Beale St, and their bars are open till 5:00 (AM). The Jack is in a dry county, and I don't think there's much a night life.

Just my thoughts. Never been to the Royal.

dmp

I really liked visiting the Jack last year as a spectator. Did the distillery tour, ate as Ms. Mary Bobo's, shopped at the downtown shops, bugged the NEBS teams, and got to watch Smokin' Hoggz win it all.

I wasn't sure what to expect as a my first time as a spectator, but I was there two days..and it was more fun than I thought it would be. Looking forward to heading back there as a competitor this year.

The Royal is a much better contest to be a spectator than the Jack for many of the reasons already mentioned. While many teams .have been known to have a really good time @ The Jack, it's nowhere near the party that the Royal is.

I've not been to MIM yet but it is on my short list. There are also a couple of other contests down south I've heard are a good party like the Big Pig Jig and The Best of the Best in GA that I have heard are are a good party and spectator friendly.

The coolest comp we do every year is Madison IN. Awsome blues bands, Awsome setting.
x2 on Madison. We really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to see if the Cincinnati folks put something similar together.

Back