To pit or Not to Pit.. a birthday question

rugbyguytx

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So here is the deal,

My wife and I celebrated our 1 yr anniversary yesterday and my birthday was two days before. For my presents, she wanted to get my a new pit but she didnt know what I wanted. She also said the Desert Eagle 50 Cal was something I had mentioned so either would be my gift...ok... so at 1st the DE was a no brainer but then I started trying to figure out what I could get for ~1500 bucks. I am trying to find something that is backyard, heavy steel and has wheels so I can roll on the trailer and take to cookoffs or tailgating if desired.

What would you guys say? Any suggestions for a great pit in that range? Used would even be ok but craigslist here in Houston is pulling up no real.. winner.

Who are you? Me? I have an April 8th birthday and an anniversary on the 10th...weird. I guess the purchase is whatever you like to cook on, somethime like a Yoder http://yodersmokers.com/wichita.html or electrics like a Cookshack or a Pellet Pooper like a Traeger 075.

I had a DE .50 when they first came out. I don't have it anymore. But I have a lot of cookers. 'Nuff said. I suggest a Stumps. Great cookers.

Well, ammo for the .50 is about 20 rnds for $27, every time you'd take it to shoot you probably go through 50-100 rounds (maybe more) since the DE is semi-auto. That's $60-$135 every time you go shooting. Now think about how much meat you could buy for $60 to $135 to load in your new smoker....

Darn good point on the ammo...
@ GreenDrake, haha yah we did the wedding in April cause it is Texas.. anything later in the year and you pass out in a tux. :) Speaking of that, I have to show the 'grooms/birthday' cake the wife surpised me with at the wedding... a replica of my CharGriller Duo. Our friend actually made the cake but I think it was a HUGE hit at the reception :)
pitcake.jpg

:clap2::laugh: That cake is something else.

Hi, welcome to the madness!

Personally... fond of them Langs... 1/4" steel and patio models available

Lang 48 patio new - 1595 (used around 1000)
Lang 60 mobile new - 2595 (used around 1500-2000)
Ben Lang's site: www.pigroast.com

Both sizes were in my 7x16 trailer... (not together)

Rugbyguytx,

I didn't read the whole thing, but right off the bat I though of what a lot of Qers say. and you'll thank us later-
"When buying a smoker,get the bigger choice", ie when you choose, get the next step up:-D
Have with whatever you get and...

@ BBQ Bandit: I like the langs but now looking to find one that is used. Love Klose and looked at Pits by JJ but I am thinking if I hold out I can find a used Klose or JJ and as @Oldschoolbbq said get bigger.

I love you Americans, a Pit or a Hand cannon!

Damn!

Pom

@kcchiefdav , Yah I have a Chargriller Duo right now and that is my issue.. the metal is too thin and I really have to watch the temps ALL the time to make sure it doesnt cool down, etc.

It pains me to say, but go with the pit...

The DE won't get used nearly as much and I am sure you have something in your possession that you can sell and buy-down the DE down the road.

Beef vs. Bullets...the eternal quandry...

( I remember once, after a long day of qualifying in 90+ degree temps, one of the fellows broke out his DE. I shot it well, after first having somebody else rack the slide!!! I've never needed anyone to light my pit, yet!)

Last edited:
So many disadvatages for a DE .50. They become $1500 paper weights. Go for the BBQ stuff, much cheaper to feed and you can use daily.

I love you Americans, a Pit or a Hand cannon!

Damn!

Pom

Well, if you are expecting to meet A friend and you came upon 10 non-friends,wouldn't you rather have a gun or knife?????

Have fun and.....

Back