Shoud I get the EGG? Quickly Please!

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Costco is blowing out remaining inventory of Vision Kamado cooker @ $400. I know this is a great deal, and I do not have a ceramic grill, but should I add one of these to my alarmingly growing grill collection?

I know many of you have a diverse collection of outdoor cooking appliances, and I know eggheads love them, but does it really offer a different experience, say from kettle grills. I do understand their attributes such as holding temps and charcoal conservation, but will it add something I am overlooking?

I usually buy first, then question myself afterwards, and my wife even gave the green light(Bestest wife ever!), but I really could use some reassurance before I drop another sizable(for me) chunk of change. Thanks to all who can quickly reply, as I know word is getting out about the price drop and there are only a few left in inventory.

Super high heat cooking if you so desire for searing steaks even better than a kettle imho, plus being able to cook pizzas, plus being able to cook low n' slow for hours on end without adding fuel ... if you have considered one in the past I would pull the trigger. If you are doing it purely for a good deal I would not. My $.02.

The Classic?
Features:
596 sq. in. Cooking Area, 2-Tier 304 SS Flip Cooking Grates, Heavy Duty Vinyl Cover

Replying to SmokerKing, sorry I didn't quote

Last edited:
Super high heat cooking if you so desire for searing steaks even better than a kettle imho, plus being able to cook pizzas, plus being able to cook low n' slow for hours on end without adding fuel ... if you have considered one in the past I would pull the trigger. If you are doing it purely for a good deal I would not. My $.02.

Thanks, I must admit that the deal is what has got the buzz going right now. It seems to be a really good price, plus the Costco return policy if there is a problem. I may buy then research more without opening the box. I have seen eggs in action at comps and have never really been bitten. Although I always am on the lookout for a WSM also, and I already have a large offset.

if all you are going to gain is higher heat then just put bricks under the cooking grate to get them closer to the food

as far as cooking pizza, you can get one of those pizza adapters that go on the kettle. I cook pizza on mine without anything, comes out fine. I am not really big into that though

for $400 I would not get it

Ehh, I am in your same boat. I saw the deal at my local CostCo. I am perfectly fine with my kettle and UDS.

Do it, and get one of the electric temp controllers. You will cook on it tons. I wasn't huge on my BGE until I got the temp controller. Now I hardly ever use my backyard offset.

Also, if you don't end up liking it, you can get some bucks back listing it on craigslist.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed and especially at that price. Ceramic grills are in a league of their own IMHO.

I'm a WSM Guy but I've found Folks that cook in colder climates really benefit from them compared to the WSM. Down here my 1st 100 degrees are free so I don't have a need for one. They are nice lookin and cookin I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate all of your timely input. As you might imagine, my disappearance was due to my hustling off to Costco, about 20 miles away. The Alhambra, CA store had 5 in stock, so I picked the least abused box. I made it back to about 1/8 mile from home and my always faithful pickup just died. I had to get a humiliating tow for about a block and a half. I hope this is not karma telling me that I really didn't need the "Ceramic Cooker"(OK, Ron L!).

@Buttburner: I want the Pizzakettle accessory also, just waiting for a bit more refinement with that Pizza Steel, they seem to be evolving that system constantly, so I hope the cost might settle down because it looks like it is close to being great.

@legendaryhog: I hate the thought of using a Temp controller, at least until I get a handle on how this cooker performs. I may not need to Craigslist it, I might not even open the box and return it to Costco. It was a very spontaneous purchase.

@ Ron L: With your list of equipment you are a true baller! I always have to watch my spending, and I have to jump on good deals when they present themselves. If I truly love the Ceramic cooker, maybe I would upgrade to a "Real" Egg.

@Toast: If I could ever find a deal on a 22.5 WSM I will get one of them also, been lookin' since they came out. I live in Hot SoCal, it was a hundy, or near it today, so I also have that first hundred degrees on Ma Nature.

So again, Thanks to everyone, I'll let you know if I keep it and how I do with it if I do.

@ Ron L: With your list of equipment you are a true baller! I always have to watch my spending, and I have to jump on good deals when they present themselves. If I truly love the Ceramic cooker, maybe I would upgrade to a "Real" Egg.

Craigslist is your friend :-D and patience.

I have a hunch you'll be falling in love with it after the 1st cook. The temp control is awesome.

My Costco still shows them listed at 6.5 C's
At 4 hundy I might just piss off the Pope (wife) and get one.:decision:

Back