Looking at an Offset From Outlaw

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is the year. Smoke Ninja got me seriously considering how the air flows over the meat. I've looked at everything I can find on the matter, and these guys at Outlaw appear to have the state of the art (in my opinion) airflow over the grate. Nice biscuit test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkMp3ocC8T0

https://outlawbbqsmokers.com/standard-cart-model This is the Standard Cart. 26 x 60. Not too big, not too small.

I've never seen one, but the build quality and fit seems first class. The firebox is perfect. I'm not sure what else I'd possibly want or need.

:shocked: $6K

Are you serious? I just don't get it. I thought Klose was expensive at ~half the price. For that kind of money, I'd get a decked out Shirley trailer personally.

OP asks about Outlaw Smokers and gets referred to LSG and Shirley, with a reference to a Jambo. haha LSG and Jambo are from Texas while OP is in Northern Michigan, and roughly 5-6 hours away from Outlaw Smokers. By the time you start factoring in shipping costs I think the prices would be pretty similar.

OP said "this is the year" so that puts Shirley 100% out of the running as they're at least an 18 month wait.

Only issue I can see with Outlaw is that not much is known about them. They are pretty secretive about their drafting system so it's tough to tell if it's worth the upgrade over some more modestly priced smokers. All that being said what little I have heard about them has been absolutely stellar. I'm certain you'd be happy with that smoker and it's likely a "lifetime" smoker in terms of size and build quality. If you do go for it please do a solid review to pass on the knowledge to the Brethren so they can recommend something else besides LSG and Shirley. haha

They have a proprietary intake system on their FB that looks pretty awesome. I’ve looked at their fully enclosed cart. Their stuff looks top notch.

i can understand a cooker catching your eye and to hell with the price and everything else. looks like an amazing cooker. logical minds might say get 2 cookers for the same money but the op has to think about what he wants/needs.

My opinion- it moves air over the meat better (to me - my opinion only) than any brand mentioned on this thread. That's my main attraction. That's what Franklin discovered as well: http://video.klru.tv/video/2365513482/ Check out his firebox placement - up high relative to the cook chamber. There are advanced airflow models out there

I believe the folks at Outlaw reviewed the engineering of Klose and Jambo and refined the game further. Again, my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Hog1990 has an Outlaw and you could send him a PM, I've contacted him a couple times in the past about different cookers he's owned. He has always been very helpful, dude has owned and sold a lot of cookers, I think he even owned a Shirley at one time.

The Outlaw's look pretty badass imo.

Sweet looking smokers. Pricey though. I think they look better than Jambo and would prolly pick an Outlaw Cart over a Jambo Cart.

I just bought an Outlaw. Fit and finish is top notch. They are a top flow smoker.

As far as the usual moans about price the devil is in the details. They are loaded from the start which means heavy round bar grates which hold heat better and are much easier to clean, SS shelf is standard and folds down, heavy duty charcoal basket is standard, split ash pan design, windproof intake instead of a cheesy pinwheel, SS removable stack instead of one that is just welded on, butterfly valve in the stack instead of a rotating cap, full 1200 degree powdercoat finish which some builders still dont do for some reason, 2 grease drains standard, SS handles, etc.

They are a modular design so if a guy switches to a porch trailer he can just buy a new base or if he wants a roadworthy trailer he can switch to a hybrid.

Best of all: 3-4 week wait time.

Note: I'm not paid, not sponsored, etc. I cook competitions and do not need a massive cooker.

If you want great performance with a much lower cost, I'd say the Jambo Backyard would be great! the airflow on the Jambo is awesome and it cooks efficiently and consistent. I have an older one but it cooks excellent and have had very good results with it!

Ted as you know I am a LSG fan and when I look at the Outlaw and a comparable build on a LSG the cost difference is pennys, same for a comparable SF reverse flow. The way I look at it the Outlaw has everything you want and will most likely be the last smoker you will ever need/want and something you can pass on. Plus I want to see what you can produce on that bad boy so the 3 to 4 week lead time gets you cooking all the sooner. Also they are close enough you can pick it up.

That’s one nice looking cooker. The price doesn’t seem too bad considering the apparent quality of the unit. Go for it and post up lots of pics of the firebox and baffle:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back