View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

US food law isn't very strict by many standards. Paranoia about problems unseen for decades can also be an issue. This all varies from state to state and county to county. The law really isn't ever an issue with things like this in most cases until someone gets sick or a lawyer or news reporter gets involved.

Is the small amount of money you would make worth the risk? Now factor in the value of your time, the cost of forming an LLC to protect your other assets (home, car, bank accounts, etc.), insurance (or risk losing all LLC assets), etc.? Does your smoker or spice blend have any allergens in it? Who covers the medical bills or are you insured?

As a beekeeper, this is an issue as well. Worker bees generally fly a 2 mile radius to collect nectar and pollen. Will any of that have an allergen in it? How about someone failing a drug test from using my honey (yep, a friends honey tested positive for marijuana)? Now, what are the local laws regarding hobbyist beekeeper sales?

What, you want 'fresh' milk? Unpasteurized cheese and other dairy products? And, you don't want to milk your own 'personal' cow? The local dairy can't take milk for sale off its property unless it is pasteurized. However, I can go there and buy some myself and self-transport it home legally.

The same goes with pasteurized and unpasteurized beer. Where do you live? Where was it bottled? Was it a 'gift' to someone or did they buy it? Etc.

Unless the financial reward is meaningful to you and worth the investment in time and money, stick to your personal cooks.

Thanks from:--->