View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #13112
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish8 View Post
Hello:

I joined (accepted to) the site yesterday and have signed-up for a subscription this morning. I, as many of you, own/use several pieces of outdoor grilling/smoking equipment. My drum smoker is a made from a stainless steel drum with the Big Poppa conversion kit. Since I cannot conduct searches here yet, I have a question and I hope this is the appropriate location.

The bottom-side of my drum lid gets a build-up of a black, greasy, tar-like yuk (best description I can give it). We built a smoker for a friend who used a mild steel drum with the same Big Poppa kit. The bottom side of his lid does not get the yuk build-up. Both drums get used a lot (butts, chicken, ribs, prime rib and brisket). Do you think I am getting the build-up because of the difference in the medal of the drums or is the under the lid build-up considered normal? Other than scrape it with a putty knife I have no clue how to remove it.

I have found the drum to be a very useful and excellent smoker. For me, it requires just the right amount of attention - not set it and forget it but also not demanding once it gets to tempt. I have cooked on it for 20 hours with single fill of charcoal.

Thanks,

Ken
Look for this at the bottom of the page.

You can search the whole site from there.