• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

World of Kamado

SeanBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ill be pulling the trigger on a small kamado in the near future and am looking for some advice. The two contenders are the Kamado Joe Jr and the BGE MiniMax.

I know both will cook very similar and are about the same size weight. If the KJjr came with the newer upgrades seen on the Classic II I would be all over it but since it doesnt Im still not completely sold.

I would like to have a semi-"portable" kamado for various reasons and these two stand out.

What are your thoughts? Likes or dislikes. I dont own any other kamado so am not loyal to one over the other.

Appreciate the help.

Have you watched any of babybackmaniac’s videos on YouTube? He’s a fellow member here. And he’s recommended the komado joe several times.

Have you watched any of babybackmaniac’s videos on YouTube? He’s a fellow member here. And he’s recommended the komado joe several times.

I have and they are great sources of information. His video is one of the reasons I started looking at the KJjr instead of just following the lemmings off the BGE cliff. :)

Saw a few posts on here BGE vs KJ but didnt see any on the smaller kamados they offer. Before I drop $400 to $600 + just thought I would throw out a few questions and see what you all thought as a whole.

When I bought mine I went with the Kamado Joe (classic). It was cheaper and every bit as good, food will all taste the same no matter which you pick.

I would honestly pick based on which one you think looks better. Food will be the same.

Ive looked at all of em and narrowed it down to these two. Primo and Acorn were close but the KJjr and BGE MM won em out.

Akorn Jr is a great option. its 1/4 the price and 1/10th of the weight. People really love them. I had a friend who bought one after ogling my kamados and he loves it. Take a little seasoning and a little practice, but its a great little grill. Super portable and you're not going to crack it!
The BGE mini max is cool, but it's not as portable as they make it seem. Still super heavy, and not to mention its a lot of $$$.

https://youtu.be/sUCocNEbKSs

Here he does a review of the mini max. It’s a good watch. I don’t own either so I don’t have an opinion either way. But from what I’ve learned the komado joes come a lil cheaper and more fully loaded. But the down side for me is the joe is harder to find and the egg is available to buy everywhere.

if you are looking to do lo & slo, the junior and minimax may frustrate you a bit. Both have 13"ish diameter grid, so getting ribs or brisket on them can be cumbersome. Butt and brisket cooks are a smidge long for a single load of lump on each grill.

t

Unless you really prefer the color I don't see an advantage to paying the higher price for the BGE. As you said, in the Jr. I don't think that the KJ is the better product (where with the upgrades I do in the larger sizes) but it's not any worse either so might as well save some money for meat.

I have a 10+ year old mini Egg with nest and I love it for small cooks like steaks, burgers, dogs, chicken parts, etc but as others mentioned the small size is not optimal for smoking most meats. It’s my go-to steak griller as I can get it to 700+ for killer crusts and I’d be afraid to take my Akorn (full size) that high as I’ve seen horror stories about burning out the gaskets (same as the BGE but I think the BGE’s gaskets are easier to replace) but also ruining the paint on the Akorn and burning out the ash catcher. YMMV

The Mini Egg is very portable for 1 person but you definitely have to be very very very careful! It’s not too heavy and I’ve transported it in my trunk and backseat. Definitely take the insides out before you lay it down.

I have the Akorn Jr and love the idea of being able to throw it in the back of the truck and head to the beach. We do hot dogs, burgers and brats while sipping ice cold Dos Equis in Mexico. I have had it for 10 years and abused the heck out of it and it is still cooking away. It also does not causes the Mexican Customs Agents to look twice as it is well used (i.e. dented and battered)

I have the minimax and went with it because my other one is green. If you can snag a Joe Jr. at a good price like at a Costco road show or something I wouldn't hesitate. I like my minimax for small weeknight cooks and I've taken it on vacation a couple times. I would not by the BGE Platesetter, go with the Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store, I love it.

I have the Kamado Joe Jr. I love it and it's meat searing machine but I don't know if I would pay full price for it. I got it for free when I bought the Big Kamado Joe at Costco roadshow. Joe Jr. is still pretty heavy for one person to lift and carry around. I wouldn't really say it's all that portable. It came with everything like the stand, grate grabber, ash tool, and ceramic heat defector so there's nothing extra to buy.

What I like about Joe Jr. is it heats up fast and uses such small amount of fuel. Bag of lump charcoal will last you forever. It really is fuel miser. Grill space is pretty limited but you can place the grate at lower level really close to the charcoal so you can get really great sear. It's also great little smoker but you're limited to small cuts. Last week I smoked 10 lb pork picnic and that was the biggest meat I smoked in Joe Jr. But I think optimal cook size for Joe Jr is about 6-7 lbs of meat. Full charcoal will last about 8 hours for smoking which is plenty.

Here are some cooks I did on the Joe Jr. 7 small lobster tails easily fit.
uKcCMOi.jpg
GJEofxS.jpg

Oysters and fishes
gfnmt40.jpg
ngLrlGH.jpg

Round roast and chuck roast
faHqPwo.jpg
FXoadgz.jpg

Chicken quarters
NxZ89yI.jpg
xxcj9Us.jpg

Pork belly
pT5SfSs.jpg

Rack of pork
nFsg1Az.jpg

I've done tons more cook but you get the picture. It's everything the bigger Kamado is, just smaller.

I possess the BGE mini. My portable cooker is a Weber Go Anywhere. I understand the lure of ceramic cookers. I’m guessing it weighs 30-35#??? No clue what the Mini Max. My mini is basically a really fun grill. That sits in its same spot. I’ve traveled fairly extensively, with my WGA. BGE mini will get 650 plus, and takes a while to cool down. WGA will cool in minutes.

Like I said, I understand the ceramic attraction- but The portability and versatility of the WGA is pretty cool and under $50

Looking forward to discovering which ceramic grill you go with and a review of your travels and cooks.

Last edited:
Thank you all I do appreciate the posts and guidance. Im looking for the small ceramic because it is just my wife and I and Id like to use less fuel to cook for the two of us than I currently use on the Weber 22". Also, I own property that I like to spend the weekend at and it is off grid. So if I could have a little ceramic there that I could grill, roast, smoke, etc. on that would be awesome. Thats why I stated "portability" and am sticking to smaller kamados. I dont want to leave this thing there as it could walk off so being able to take it with me is key.

16Adams thanks for the idea about the WGA but I already have a Weber Q that is portable and can do most of if not all of what the WGA can do. Still may have to get one anyway and add it to the arsenal. :)

I am leaning toward the KJjr as long as I can get it for a great price and it comes with the goodies. If not, i think I am still leaning that way because of the warranty and free shipping should something occur.

I have been a Primo owner for about 10 years. When there was any issue, I could call and it was taken care of. I like the fact that they are made and built in the US, unlike alot of the other brands. It is great to cook on. From doing reverse sears, regular grilling of foods, smoking (cold and hot) as well as the best pizza oven around.

Good luck in your search!

If you would like to see what the Mini BGE (10" grid) is capable of, do a youtube or Goggle search for "Magic Mini Moments". Leroy, aka Spring Chicken, compiled I believe ten or so picture videos of cooks on the BGE Mini.
I have two along with a MiniMAX and a large.
And The Ceramic Grill Store is the go to for accessories on any of the ceramic cookers!

Back