• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Wow, this is great news - it sounds like things are really lining up with a new location and investor. This along with all that you've learned the past few years will have a big impact on your success in the new venture. Keep us posted!

Good luck on this new venture, as long as you maintain your commitment to quality product I foresee crowds following you no matter where you go. I just spent the last 2 days at work reading this thread and am now absolutely, 110% beyond the shadow of a doubt certain I will NEVER want to open my own restaurant... Lmao

Good luck! We stopped by the original location a couple times and look forward to visiting the new spot.

A big piece of the puzzle arrived tonight. :grin:

2vvvpzq.jpg

Be sure to get a hold of Pat Moody and clue him in on your new venture after all your t's are crossed and i's dotted. He does a great job of promoting our local entreupeneer's at Mail Max.

I spent the entire day yesterday reading this post from start to finish. What a story! I'm sure I speak for many on this thread that we appreciate your candor and letting us peek into your personal and business life.

As someone who has always wanted to have a BBQ joint or food truck, it leaves me with one important question. Was it all worth it? The business was doing well but it seems like there was very little profit. If you could go back and change one thing, what would it have been?

I spent the entire day yesterday reading this post from start to finish. What a story! I'm sure I speak for many on this thread that we appreciate your candor and letting us peek into your personal and business life.

As someone who has always wanted to have a BBQ joint or food truck, it leaves me with one important question. Was it all worth it? The business was doing well but it seems like there was very little profit. If you could go back and change one thing, what would it have been?

I really appreciate him documenting this for all of us to follow as well. Reading his experiences along with a personal friend's experiences helped me make the decision to just keep BBQ as a hobby. Not knocking those who decide to do it. I respect the heck out of anyone who takes the leap and gives it a go.

Over the last few years I've been able to get a lot of experience on what it would be like cooking for large groups/"for the masses". I've planned and cooked for church fundraisers where I cooked for literally 400 people and also headed up fundraisers for my kids' youth sports teams. I now (for the most part) am very selective as to who I cook for with regard to people who ask me to head up their church/youth fundraiser. I decline more than I accept. Getting these experiences on top of getting to read about and hear other people's experiences who've actually gotten into the business was enough for me to decide to keep it as a hobby.:loco:

Just finished reading this over the last week or so....holy crap what a coaster. Glad to see you're back in the game Jeremy, best of luck! Dont know how i missed this thread before when i frequented on here more often, but wow...

I was following the Prized Pig on Facebook and saw a few posts recently that it as opening back up and also saw the post about the smoker. Apparently it is his original one. I was able to stop in once at the original location and had some good food and will be in Chicago next week. Too bad the new place won't be open by then.

I know a lot of people have commented about media, etc but it could be a double edged sword. In following the facebook posts there were a lot of former customers upset at the closing of the original as they had various gift cards or other promo offers that they had paid for. I'm sure people will wonder what options they have since it is the same owner and same restaurant name.

Good luck Jeremy, I remember when you contacted me about your first restaurant. I am in a position now I can actually get out there and try your place.

hated to see One Fourteen close, but Jeremy you got a great location. Selfishly I hoped you meant downtown South Bend, but Mishawaka is a good place to be and close enough I'm sure i'll be seeing you at least a couple times a month.

congrats!

I see jacobp saw the location announcement, but yeah it became official early this week. We took possession of the building on Tuesday and construction is already underway. I'm shocked that the city is allowing us to build a second story deck and put that big ass smoker up top and right outside the kitchen door. It's going to be great.

So things are moving along fairly quickly now. Lots of meetings next week regarding signage, a health department walkthrough, newspaper interviews, etc. Its happening!

Back