• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering Question

Q Haven

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm still new to this catering stuff....

I've been approached to cook a party for 150 people. They want loin back ribs, pulled pork, assorted chicken pieces and beef brisket. Ribs and chicken would be cooked on site, beef and pork cooked overnight and finished on site.

I will not have to do any sides or dessert, or bring anything except the meats, sauces, sandwich rolls, cooking equipment and wire chaffers and pans.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to charge per person. I have an idea in my head and am looking to see if I am far off.

Thanks in advance....

I am thinking off the top of my head $17 per. Cost of the event is $2550, you stand to profit very nicely. YMMV

I don't mean to hijack, maybe I'm not...wouldn't that price per head matter on how many sides the host of the party is making and how much meat that will be needed to cooking on siite....I have no idea......so is there a round figure an average price of those type of meats per pound?

Dan

I don't mean to hijack, maybe I'm not...wouldn't that price per head matter on how many sides the host of the party is making and how much meat that will be needed to cooking on siite....I have no idea......so is there a round figure an average price of those type of meats per pound?

Dan

I took into consideration that he had to provide no sides in determining my price. I do not do the per lb. thingy, unless a customer ask which they never do.

If I were to provide sides I would have said something like $21 per. Does that make farking sense :biggrin:

I took into consideration that he had to provide no sides in determining my price. I do not do the per lb. thingy, unless a customer ask which they never do.

If I were to provide sides I would have said something like $21 per. Does that make farking sense :biggrin:

Sure does...Thanks....I guess it just comes down to doing it enough times and you eventually get a feel for how much is needed...I'm new to this whole catering thing and if I am not in control of how much meat AND sides, I would end up making enough meat for a Vulture Luau...:lol:.....good question Q-Haven...

I usually figure it by taking the total cost times 3 to 3.5 depending on the drive time and complexity of the gig.

I used to do that precise service in the Norwich, New London area for 16 off site (within 50 miles) or 19 on site.

People will be very happy with you and be sure to take lots of brochures and cards.

Also, and I strongly advise this if you want to grow your business.

I would also set up a raffle. Raffle off a Complimentary MEAL for 6 delivered to their work or business for anyone that registers with a VALID email.

The point is not really to give away a meal but build a data base of emails that you can inform of your whereabouts, prices, specials (awards in your case), and redirects to your bbq blog. Your first email should be, after you feed and inform the winner, an email announcing who won the free dinner. Make sure you have pictures to post in the email... video links would be a big plus (you already have a presence on youtube.)

People will always remember u wrote them and may save your e mail (plus you will write them again), they may bookmark your blog, or site, or youtube channel.

Never show up with good vittles unless properly prepared to be able to somehow contact the people who have been impressed with your food.

Thanks for the responses all. I was thinking $20 so I wasn't too far off. I've done a few catering jobs before, but all were flat fee and never more than 50 people. This should be an interesting challenge if I get the gig.

I'm still new to this catering stuff....

I've been approached to cook a party for 150 people. They want loin back ribs, pulled pork, assorted chicken pieces and beef brisket. Ribs and chicken would be cooked on site, beef and pork cooked overnight and finished on site.

I will not have to do any sides or dessert, or bring anything except the meats, sauces, sandwich rolls, cooking equipment and wire chaffers and pans.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to charge per person. I have an idea in my head and am looking to see if I am far off.

Thanks in advance....

We would be around $18.50 for four meats with set up...

i think your low at 17 for 4 meats we charge 20.... and we get it i mean we are talking 150 peps here

Pricing

Demographics isn't neccesarily dictating catering prices these days, I'm also in CT and from what I'm seeing everyone is looking for a deal this season!

I just declined a job offer for a doctor, they wanted to feed 80 guests 3 meats, 3 sides & rolls for $1500.00.

The kicker was they also needed to rent tables, chairs & linens for the event, cost on that was $530.00, left ya with less than a grand for food, help, travel & business expenses.......NOT

As a caterer I cant play the guessing game anymore, I ask up front for a budget range so I know where the client needs to be.

Most folks are shopping but I garuntee they are not asking for apples to apples bidding!

We are getting the same thing. We restructured or price list this season with the anticipation of buget minded clients. So far we are getting most of the events we bid.

Back