Korean BBQ: Wang Galbi

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Forgive me in advance as this will be long post with lot of pictures and will span multiple days.

I'm a huge fan of Korean BBQ. I eat it all the time. When most people think of Korean BBQ short ribs, they think of flanken cut beef short ribs, aka LA Galbi. This style of cut was made popular in LA. But in Korea, LA Galbi is not popular. The real Korean BBQ places use English cut short ribs which is then cut into one long thin ribbon with the bone attached. It requires bit of knife work and is called Wang Galbi. Wang means "king" and Galbi means "ribs". So Wang Galbi is king ribs or I guess ribs fit for a king to eat.

I wanted to make Wang Galbi at home so I bought some bone-in beef short ribs from Costco about two months ago. It's been wet aging in my fridge.
Uguej1Yl.jpg

BE7ew25l.jpg

I sliced the two ribs in between the bones to get 8 pieces of ribs.
Tuwgol2l.jpg

Then I took my hacksaw and cut each ribs into 2 or 3 pieces across the bone.
s1MYPgOl.jpg

I then rinsed the ribs of any bone fragments/dust and sliced the meat off the bone into a ribbon. In order to do this, you have to keep flipping the rib after each cut until you have a long ribbon. It sounds complicated but it's not that hard once you see how it's done. I scored the meat to make it more tender and to allow the marinade to penetrate better.

rib piece cut into ribbon and peeled out
N56ZBClh.jpg

Ribbon rolled back up
o8X8DjHl.jpg

tKAlTuTl.jpg

All the ribs peeled and rolled up
ATNbVAbl.jpg

Now it was time to remove the "blood" from the meat. Koreans like to submerge the meat into a bowl of cold water to remove the "blood" taste from the meat. It's similar to when people rinse corned meat to remove the saltiness from the meat. It's the same concept but this removes the zinc and "blood" taste. Some people like to go overboard and change out the water crazy number of times but I only do it once or twice. I do add some sugar in the water to speed up the process. Some people will use something like Sprite.
k5Iahm7l.jpg

Next, it's time to strain out the water
nCMBN6Ll.jpg

Excess bloody water
FD1Ge6Ml.jpg

Galbi marinade
UfBs3Lsl.jpg

Dipping each unrolled rib into the marinade before transferring to a container
aqE9i0Xl.jpg

3DUObWnl.jpg

All twenty pieces of ribs unrolled and submerged in galbi marinade.
toADqpul.jpg

One serving at Korean BBQ restaurant is 2 pieces of ribs. Most restaurants charge $30-$35 per serving so this is about $300 worth of ribs.

I'm going to let the ribs marinade for couple days and will grill Friday or Saturday.

I always enjoy your cooks. Looks and sounds delicious! :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
I completely agree with Jeanie.

Appreciate the education, and I look forward to this one progressing.

Tuned in! :pop2:

• Thanks
I completely agree with Jeanie.

Appreciate the education, and I look forward to this one progressing.

Tuned in! :pop2:

Thanks ShadowDriver! I know you're a fan of Korean BBQ and lived in Korea for a bit. When and where did you live?

It's posts like this that have me wanting to come to QTalk more often.

I too love a good Korean BBQ, and having married a Filipino, there are so many cross polinations of cooking in SE Asia.

And now I need to look up more of your posts, as I'm new here (to QTalk that is).

Thanks for the post and looking forward to more.

I know you're a fan of Korean BBQ and lived in Korea for a bit. When and where did you live?

I'm a huge fan of Korean BBQ, but I only "lived" in Korea for days/weeks at a time.... mainly at airstrips near Songtan, Gunsan, and Daegu.

My limited "authentic" experience comes from one Americanised and a couple of back alley spots with the locals in Songtan.

• Thanks
Tuned in mate, awesome food from the Koreans

• Thanks
It's posts like this that have me wanting to come to QTalk more often.

I too love a good Korean BBQ, and having married a Filipino, there are so many cross polinations of cooking in SE Asia.

And now I need to look up more of your posts, as I'm new here (to QTalk that is).

Thanks for the post and looking forward to more.

Thanks Bill! This site is treasure full of information with wonderful people who contribute to it. I'm Korean American who fell in love with American BBQ and learned great deal from all the members here. But my first love is still Korean food so I try to share little of what I know about Korean BBQ with the members here.

I'm a huge fan of Korean BBQ, but I only "lived" in Korea for days/weeks at a time.... mainly at airstrips near Songtan, Gunsan, and Daegu.

My limited "authentic" experience comes from one Americanised and a couple of back alley spots with the locals in Songtan.

Ah, I thought you were stationed and lived there for couple of years. I was born in Korea but my parents immigrated to the US when I was 8 years old. So I missed out on lot of the cultural aspect. I've visited South Korea couple of times as an adult. I visited Busan for the first time in back in April. I went there for a week to eat fresh seafood.

I think Korea is sort of difficult country to visit as a foreigner without the help or knowing a local. The best places to eat are not easily searchable with Google, and Google Maps is lacking and not that useful in South Korea. Everyone in Korea uses Naver or KakaoMap instead of Google Maps. But there are some amazing restaurants in South Korea if you can navigate through the maze and know where the places are located. But you'll need a local to find the place and to translate the menu.

Is it done yet? :-D

Thanks for the detailed post! I love learning about new cuisines, dishes and techniques!

• Thanks
Is it done yet? :-D

Thanks for the detailed post! I love learning about new cuisines, dishes and techniques!

:biggrin1: That's what my daughter said yesterday! She thought I was going to grill last night. And that was actually my initial plan. I was going to grill the Wang Galbi plain on the grill without any marinade. Plain is actually my favorite way to eat galbi. But then my wife told me she was making beef kongnamul bap which is soybean sprout rice bowl with beef for dinner. So I switched gear and decided to marinate the ribs so I wouldn't have to cook it right away.

My Korean coworker told me about these. I didn't rinse the blood out, and I didn't wait 2 days. Cooked them on the Blackstone. They were AWESOME! The biggest pain is slicing them thin enough. I think I *might* bring some to the Pig Pull, you know, for early birds and stuff like that.

I do want to see how yours turn out!

My Korean coworker told me about these. I didn't rinse the blood out, and I didn't wait 2 days. Cooked them on the Blackstone. They were AWESOME! The biggest pain is slicing them thin enough. I think I *might* bring some to the Pig Pull, you know, for early birds and stuff like that.

I do want to see how yours turn out!

You don't have to rinse the blood out or wait days to cook. It's completely optional. It's a Korean thing with the blood and they do that to pretty much all the meats, especially the beef and pork. They claim soaking gets rid of the dirty and foul blood taste and any bad odors from the animal. I don't know how much difference it makes but my wife swears she can taste the off blood and always insists on soaking when cooking Korean food. Funny thing is she never says anything when I'm grilling steaks or smoking BBQ. Only for meats used to make Korean cuisine. :laugh:

Your authentic Korean BBQ lesson is very interesting. I have never been to a Korean BBQ restaurant, but I will have to tune in to this to see how things turn out.

• Thanks
It's dishes like this that make me a youtube junkie always looking at other cultures food.

I'm here for the show!!!

• Thanks
Back