The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

My family likes a lot of smoke like what my stick burner produced, how is everyone getting more smoke and a good bark? So far I have done a brisket and pork butt on a LG Champion Pro I got from Costco and I am not satisfied with the level of smokiness of the meat. I a have tried Pit Boss competition blend, Traeger Hickory, B&B Competition blend and Pitt Boss Hickory. Any thoughts? I have read lower heat for added smoke (180) but higher heat for bark (225). Kinda frustrating to be honest.

My family likes a lot of smoke like what my stick burner produced, how is everyone getting more smoke and a good bark? So far I have done a brisket and pork butt on a LG Champion Pro I got from Costco and I am not satisfied with the level of smokiness of the meat. I a have tried Pit Boss competition blend, Traeger Hickory, B&B Competition blend and Pitt Boss Hickory. Any thoughts? I have read lower heat for added smoke (180) but higher heat for bark (225). Kinda frustrating to be honest.

Try lumberjack 100% hickory pellets. Strongest I have found. Run your butt or brisket around 180-200 for a couple hours then move to 250 for rest of cook. If that isn’t enough, try adding an amazen tube. If that isn’t enough, pellets are likely not for you

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try lumberjack 100% hickory pellets. Strongest I have found. Run your butt or brisket around 180-200 for a couple hours then move to 250 for rest of cook. If that isn’t enough, try adding an amazen tube. If that isn’t enough, pellets are likely not for you

Memphis Elite

+1 ... also if possible, you can always look to modify the firebox a bit to accept wood chunks. I've done that with my FEC-100 and I burn a few wood chunks next to the firebox.

+1 on the Lumberjack Hickory. They give the heaviest smoke profile of any pellet I have tried. Also invest in an Amaze-n-tube. Not sure what to say on the bark. I have never had any issues with that on the YS640. What kind of rub are you using, and are you wrapping?

For
On my YS640 I’ll run it at the lowest setting (150) for the first two hours. At this setting it pukes smoke like crazy. Then turn it up to 225 until the internal temp reaches 160 - 170, I then set it to 275 until done.

I’ve used the smoke tube already and it does add quite a bit of smoke flavor but the procedure I just explained works the best for me. Plenty of smoke flavor.

With a brisket you should have plenty of time to achieve both.

In order to get the smokiest output, put the brisket in the smoker cold, straight from the fridge, and wet with whatever binder you use for the rub — mustard, sauce, water, whatever. The cold temp and moisture will increase the amount of smoke the meat picks up. Then, as noted above, smoke it at 180 (or even lower, if possible) for the first 4-5 hours, because pellets smoke more at lower temp’s.

At some point in the cook you reach a point of diminishing returns, in that the meat picks up less and less smoke. So after 4-5 hours, crank the temp up to 225 or 250 to finish the cook, which still leaves plenty of time to set the bark. But do not wrap, which will help form the bark and permit the brisket to continue picking up whatever smoke it can for the rest of the cook.

It will work the same with pork butts, just compress the times a little.

Using this method, I haven’t needed any smoke tubes or other enhancers with my Mak, but I realize pellet smokers vary in the amount of smoke they produce so if the above doesn’t satisfy you, you can try the tubes, etc.

Last edited:
Yep, some grills put out more than others but EVERY GRILL is subject to the quality of pellets used.

If I can help it I only use Cookin pellets or lumberjack in the flavors I'm needing.

Some carne asada...sadly, no plated pics

2a1f6a5a546ae1801b59cf87ab4465ac.jpg

1ed3e96ecbdc8faad3381abd9631ca2c.jpg

1adebae22dbed166349e00513e7bd842.jpg

51063d6a732ad4a082cfd6b7aa0ec4f8.jpg

Memphis Elite

We've done briskets side by side with my GMG and an Amaz'n tube and my Humphreys. The Humphreys still had significantly more smoke. Nature of the beast with pellets. Cook lower temps with the strongest wood you can find. I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.

I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.

Yeah, and some folks like very, very heavy smoke...the type that you burp smoke for a week after the meal. Pellet smokers definitely not for them.

We've done briskets side by side with my GMG and an Amaz'n tube and my Humphreys. The Humphreys still had significantly more smoke. Nature of the beast with pellets. Cook lower temps with the strongest wood you can find. I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.
I have a box of Hickory Mojobricks out there and they say you can use them on the Pellet. Just throw them on.

Looking forward to getting my MAK 2 Star. Hopefully will be here this week!! Got some new Big Poppa Smoker Rubs (Money, Sweet Money) and two bags of BBQ’s Delight Hickory Pellets that came with it. Looking forward to trying the BBQ’s Delight Pellets. Cannot get them around here, curious to see how they burn and taste. Also bought a big Briskett. Never did one, but it is going on for my first cook!! Going to break it in right!!

Yeah, and some folks like very, very heavy smoke...the type that you burp smoke for a week after the meal. Pellet smokers definitely not for them.

I don't know anyone, or remember reading on this or other sites, that like to burp smoke for a week.
Those who burp smoke, are new to the craft and don't know better, and are looking for help to eliminate the smoke burp.

I've got both a stick burner and a pellet grill. My stick burner will produce more smoke flavor, but I definitely will not burp smoke, nor would anyone who eat my food.

I have a box of Hickory Mojobricks out there and they say you can use them on the Pellet. Just throw them on.

Looking forward to getting my MAK 2 Star. Hopefully will be here this week!! Got some new Big Poppa Smoker Rubs (Money, Sweet Money) and two bags of BBQ’s Delight Hickory Pellets that came with it. Looking forward to trying the BBQ’s Delight Pellets. Cannot get them around here, curious to see how they burn and taste. Also bought a big Briskett. Never did one, but it is going on for my first cook!! Going to break it in right!!

Sounds like you got some big plans. Let us know how the new Mak and first brisket work out.

BTW, I like the BBQr’s Delight, works good in the YS640, plenty of smoke flavor. Lumberjack pellets are next to impossible to find around here.

Hi- I am new to the forum, although I joined a while back. I have just purchased the Louisiana Grills LG-900, with a side smoke cabinet, at Costco. I am new to pellet grills, but have grilled with wood and charcoal for decades. The lure of smoked meats and fish (and cheese, apparently) brought me over to the dark side.
So far I have had great success just grilling with the beast, but aim to get into cold smoking, perhaps a salmon to start. The smoker claims to operate at a low of 100 degrees.
Does anyone have an opinion on best to do it?

I am curious for MAK grill owners. How long did you season the new grill for? I think I did a couple of hours with my Camp Chef. My MAK 2 star is being delivered today and would love to do some BBQ chicken tonight.

I am curious for MAK grill owners. How long did you season the new grill for? I think I did a couple of hours with my Camp Chef. My MAK 2 star is being delivered today and would love to do some BBQ chicken tonight.

I ran mine at 400 for maybe 30-40 mins. It was good to go...

I have a Lumber Jack dealer in the area $11 for a 20# bag so that's what I'll be rolling with.

I ended up buying Lumber Jack pellets from Dick's Sporting Goods. They offered free shipping on orders over $50, so i bought 3 bags of competition blend and one of pure hickory (that was all they would allow me to buy of the hickory) to get the free shipping. Once I get my hands on a decent piece of meat for a long cook, I'll be giving it a try.

Once I figure out where to find stuff in this "tahn", I hope to be doing more cooking. Well, if the rain ever goes away...

-J

Back