If you could only have one cooker...? My thoughts.

I considered this when I bought my Offset with warmer. I considered it would be the last cooker I would need to purchase, I can burn wood as I have a lifetime of mesquite on my property (just have to work for it). I can smoke, BBQ, grill and bake from 200 to 700 degrees in the warmer. Only difficult aspect is it is difficult to move (reason to have a trailer mount).

To answer OP, I'd look at upgrading my current shirley to one with a warmer box. I've also been eyeing Lone Star Grillz with the warmer oven option directly above firebox. It looks like a simple and elegant solution compared to the slow cooking cabinet on the far side for a traditional flow. I like the choice of having smaller cooks and not using quite as much wood if I'm doing just a single cut of meat

I like that too. I even ordered one a couple years ago but changed my mind during the 6 month wait when the job situation looked questionable on the horizon. It looks like a cool feature.

I like that too. I even ordered one a couple years ago but changed my mind during the 6 month wait when the job situation looked questionable on the horizon. It looks like a cool feature.

Great minds think alike! I feel like a lot of rigs can do tons of meat well. I feel like the option of going small is a big step up, ironically.

If I go Shirley, I would probably request a baffle block plate to be fabricated so the heat is radiated upward. I'm not sure if LSG offers a baffle block plate. Imagine how efficient it would be if I was just cooking a brisket and a side dish to be able to block the main chamber and strictly cook inside just the warmer. Nice touch. Now, the hard part is convincing the better half to let me loose!!

So instead of fixing or replacing the Egg, I bought a 22.5" Kettle, an 18" WSM, and then a rotisserie for the kettle. All of that cost me less than $500 buying it new (I did get the WSM on sale), and there's no ceramics to fail, and I've got a TON more cooking space, and I can take them with me somewhere if I wanted. Plus the two-zone fire ability of the kettle is a nice feature the Egg didn't have.

Anyhow. Cost is always a factor. And IMO, if you want the ultimate in versatility, but don't have $700+ to spend, my vote is a kettle and a WSM. I know, that's two cookers, not one, but the cost is less than a single komado and you can do everything you might want to do.

This is what I tell people all the time. Best bang for your buck and you can do almost any kind of cooking you would ever need to do. A Weber Performer and 22 WSM is $800 and will be everything you would ever need for years.

I say Assassin Charcoal Grill - even tho I ain't got one. Even with shipping its half price of a Good Kamado.

This is what I tell people all the time. Best bang for your buck and you can do almost any kind of cooking you would ever need to do. A Weber Performer and 22 WSM is $800 and will be everything you would ever need for years.

That's 2 cookers where I come from.....OP said if could only have 1.......now a Kettle with a SmokeEZ or a Cajun Bandit I would consider as 1 cooker........

That's 2 cookers where I come from.....OP said if could only have 1.......now a Kettle with a SmokeEZ or a Cajun Bandit I would consider as 1 cooker........

Yeah, but when people ask about having 'one' cooker the first question you should ask them is if they only want one because of space limitations or to keep the budget within a certain amount? Because if budget is the limiting factor, not space or something else, you can get two Webers for less than the price of 1 really fancy grill/smoker/komado/etc.

Yeah, but when people ask about having 'one' cooker the first question you should ask them is if they only want one because of space limitations or to keep the budget within a certain amount? Because if budget is the limiting factor, not space or something else, you can get two Webers for less than the price of 1 really fancy grill/smoker/komado/etc.

Yeah, you'll never find a better value than a Weber kettle.

This right here. Not like a WSM and a kettle takes up much room either. For $800 you have the best of both worlds at less than 1/2 the money needed for a kamado with table.

This right here. Not like a WSM and a kettle takes up much room either. For $800 you have the best of both worlds at less than 1/2 the money needed for a kamado with table.

Yeah, this is the debate that has gone on for years between kettle and kamado owners.

Yeah, this is the debate that has gone on for years between kettle and kamado owners.

For $499 you can have a Pit Boss Kamado with side tables that does better in Western NY winters than a kettle or WSM. With the $300 leftover you can build a UDS and add a Blackstone griddle for a very capable outdoor cooking setup.

If you take away the single device rule, the options expand exponentially.

One outdoor cooker only?? Easy decision.

24" kamado style of some flavor (I have an XL BGE)

Weber Performer. I'd sure hate to give up my 40" Masterbuilt Electric though, especially with all it's mods and extras. I'd eat a lot less barbecue...

I might choose this as an only cooker......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGArPRcwmUg"]Broil King Keg - YouTube[/ame]

less than Half the Price of the Super Weber........

Back