logo

**Frame off NB Bandera Restoration**

Dang it Brian, I've been looking on CL for a Bandera and there you go and find one! Of course I've only been looking under the South KC and Tacoma tabs, not on the rich northender ones! I'm guessing you and JD are down here for the Klose thing huh?

There are 6 bolts that connect the firebox to the cabinet, and 2 bolts through the frame on both boxes.

IMG_0295.jpg

Bead blasted the f/box door, lid, vents, stack, and handles. Sanded the cabinet door.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Drilled a hole in the lid hinge/holder for a cotter key to keep the lid secure.

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Semi-gloss BBQ paint on the cabinet and door, flat BBQ paint on the firebox and Rustoleum Hammered finish in gloss Black on the frame.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Thats it for now! Next step....The MODS!

Lookin' good bro...let me know before you fire it up...hopefully I can stop by and check it out! :p

Dang it Brian, I've been looking on CL for a Bandera and there you go and find one! Of course I've only been looking under the South KC and Tacoma tabs, not on the rich northender ones! I'm guessing you and JD are down here for the Klose thing huh?

Brian did the Klose thing...I did the Spring Training Comp in Seattle...:p

Not only do you do good work, you're fast! Great job.

Dang it Brian, I've been looking on CL for a Bandera and there you go and find one! Of course I've only been looking under the South KC and Tacoma tabs, not on the rich northender ones!

I'm going to stick my nose in here. This Bandera came off McChord Air Force Base, and it was advertised down there for a couple weeks before I even responded to it. I know he was trying to sell it outright but when I saw it he was trying to barter it. I bought it thinking I'd fix it up for my daughter but then she announced she's moving away so I turned around and sold it to swamprb. I'd have kept it but I already have one. They're out there, just keep looking.

seattlepitboss

That is some incredible work. I didn't know there could be any shiny metail underneath the rust. I wonder if there's any on mine!

Where you can you take parts this big and have them "bead blasted"?

Yeah, he scored his green egg down south too. Brian even tried to set me up with a WSM dirt cheap once, I just waited too long on it. My problem is that I set the search parameters as "bbq smoker" so that I dont have to scroll through all the cars listed! He was a great partner in chili class so I cant bust his chops too much!

Yeah, he scored his green egg down south too. Brian even tried to set me up with a WSM dirt cheap once, I just waited too long on it. My problem is that I set the search parameters as "bbq smoker" so that I dont have to scroll through all the cars listed! He was a great partner in chili class so I cant bust his chops too much!

Rick announced the date for the Edgewood cookoff, unfortunately it is the same date as the Chehalis comp. August 8th, so mark your callendar Tim!

Oh yeah, I made a vague offer on the Bandera when the guy was looking for barter items before seapitboss picked it up.

You want to search for something like smoker -no -non and check the box that says titles only. That helps a lot.

seattlepitboss

I totally missed seeing Rick had the Klose class, obviously haven't been on his site for waaaay too long. I stopped by there today thinking that it was Saturday (which it wasn't BTW), might of had entirely too much hot sauce at the Mission last night! I'm guessing Edgewood is the same as last year, ribs and clucker?

Which one you going to JD?

So, GrandMaster must have felt sorry for me (or didn't want me to really start whining and sniveling) and sold me his BSKD today. THANKS AGAIN TIM!

I'll be watching for answers to your post on the Bandera 101 thread.

So, GrandMaster must have felt sorry for me (or didn't want me to really start whining and sniveling) and sold me his BSKD today. THANKS AGAIN TIM!

I'll be watching for answers to your post on the Bandera 101 thread.

Lets see some pics?

I've got the Bandera 101 and spent a couple hours searching for firebox mods and such. First thing will be firebricks and baffle, gotta find some grates, a lid mod and firebasket. As soon as the rains let up I can finish painting.

Brian you never cease to amaze, not only do you do tremendous work, you do it in a timely fashion. I saw all of your webers and was like man this guy is good; I didn't realize how good though.

Yeah I had a slow day at work yesterday so I surfed a little (that would get me right out of Sim's lifeboat wouldn't it?) and downloaded everything I could find. I am planning on making the baffle, ash pan, charcoal basket, getting firebricks and maybe a gasket for the door. GrandMaster gave me the burner mod for it. Going to google 16 x 15 1/2 grills right now.

Pics will come soon, gotta get a new cable for the camera (lost the old one again)

I seem to recall reading the Char-Broil grates suck- I'm wondering if the Brinkmann's are any better? I have some NSF Metro shelves but they will need some welding and I've had a pile of stuff that needs to be welded that I've not gotten to-it might be easier just buy some.

Enjoy that bbq! I'm glad I was able to sell it to someone who will restore it. That was my first real bbq and i was very sad to see it go...but it was wasting away here.

You guys want grates? I could make some up if you want... That's what I planned on doing. Cost plus a couple beers... I work cheap. :)

Let me dig around my pile o'scrap and see what I got on hand. I'm thinking that I'll probably be buying you some beer though!

I seem to recall reading the Char-Broil grates suck- I'm wondering if the Brinkmann's are any better? I have some NSF Metro shelves but they will need some welding and I've had a pile of stuff that needs to be welded that I've not gotten to-it might be easier just buy some.

Expanded metal and angle iron...cheap and easy...Everett Steel...:p

Dang there JD, I saw the cheap and easy and thought you'd been hearing tales about me from some of the women I know!

Re-Finishing my New Braunfuls Smoker

I am re-doing my New Braunfuls Smoker and used flat black grill paint for a first coat and used high temp engine paint for the finish coats.I did mine red,white and blue and am in the process of putting the stars and stripes on it.Will post some pics if I can figure out how to do it. The paint dried to a beautiful shiny gloss in both the red and the blue.

Back